Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought an 86 GL - please help with some questions

This is my first post so hello to all and thanks if you can help. I just found this beauty (I already own a 99 I had to due a headgasket job on) and the boxer impressed me.) Anyway, I found this one virtually rust free, garaged forever. It feels like stepping into a time machine, it is in almost PERFECT shape. Even still has the new car smell and feel. Has 100k on it and the previous owner had all the service done at Subaru. He even had new CV axles installed AFTER I had made the deal for $1000. I asked if the boots were leaking and he said he no, he just wanted to be sure it was in good shape. After meeting him I believe it. Anyway, he even gave me a brown box that has a key with a green light and a keychain in it that he never used and about 5 new spare keys made. The jack, spare and other stuff has never been used. The rear cargo cover is perfect, the whole car is almost in new condition. I guess I already said that but I am excited because after this year (or the 80's) to me (In my own opinion) they started ruining the Subaru by making it bigger and bigger. The whole point was that it could do what a SUV can do but not be big. They also started making the parts cheaper. On my 99 I have a pulley made of plastic that was metal in the 80's. Stuff like that. Anyway....

First, I was wondering what I can expect for MPG in 2 wheel drive on the freeway.?

Second - why should I never shift into all wheel on dry pavement?

This 86 has a carb, not efi. No a/c and is a stick shift. I really feel lucky finding her.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

First, I was wondering what I can expect for MPG in 2 wheel drive on the freeway.?

Depending on the state of your carb and engine and the way you drive, you should get between the low 20s to low 30s in mpg.

You have (Part-Time-Four-Wheel-Drive) not (All-Wheel-Drive). This is an important distinction.

This should answer your question:

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnpart.html

[quote name=ubtripn;1052586

First' date=' I was wondering what I can expect for MPG in 2 wheel drive on the freeway.?

This 86 has a carb, not efi. No a/c and is a stick shift. I really feel lucky finding her.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks![/quote]

1.towards 30 mpg if the carb is working properly. you would get better than 30 in a FWD model with different gearing. You should run on 185/70 13 tires for 4wd, a little more gearing for highway, vs 171/70

2. there is no center differential. it is the same effect as a RWD car with a live axle, it will crab during turns. With subaru 4wd, the front and rear axles are engaged together with no differential to allow a difference in rotation.

also, the 4wd should be engaged or disengages with the steering wheel strait, never while turning.

you can run the 4wd at highway speeds in any condition that is not dry road. heavy rain is fine. there is no speed limit for 4wd, and you can engage/disengage on the fly by letting off the throttle

You can run 4wd on the highway, just be careful and pretend it's rear wheel drive. Every time I've done it the car has gotten squirrely until I put it back in front wheel. Of course, that was a somewhat curvy road with slick new snow/sleet/rain--in a straight line you should be ok (though if you're able to hit highway speeds do you need 4wd???)

"Second - why should I never shift into all wheel on dry pavement?"

Hey, I've got one of those brown boxes.

My experience with three Dual Range daily drivers, new stock size tires on them all when I got them is:

I run gravel and chip and seal roads in any position I want. Low range is what I use, in the hills. Perfect.

I run black top state highways in Low Range when I want. I flip it onto the gravel berm whenever I want to unwind it. Never a problem once you've done it and know what you're doing.

Doug

Thanks everybody for the information!

I thought they were all wheel drive, learn something new everyday. Is my 99 all-wheel drive?

I heard I could just pull a fuse on that one to make it front wheel drive when I wanted to but if that is true then I could just put a switch in line so it probably isn't.

Also - Quidam - when you say -"When you want to unwind it" do you mean open it up or something else? Thanks.

Yeah, the brown box is cool, I guess the light on the key is just a flashlight but still nice.

Edited by ubtripn

...it is in almost PERFECT shape. Even still has the new car smell and feel...

Welcome.

Pictures, Please!

Have you asked to the Previous owner the Date of the Last Timing Belts Replacement? The EA82 Engine on your Subaru is interference free, but if they break you can end with a dead car in the Middle of Nowhere, so I Kindly Suggest you to keep in mind their Change interval.

Kind Regards.

Thanks everybody for the information!

I thought they were all wheel drive, learn something new everyday. Is my 99 all-wheel drive?

I heard I could just pull a fuse on that one to make it front wheel drive when I wanted to but if that is true then I could just put a switch in line so it probably isn't.

Also - Quidam - when you say -"When you want to unwind it" do you mean open it up or something else? Thanks.

Yeah, the brown box is cool, I guess the light on the key is just a flashlight but still nice.

If you have a 1999 Subaru it is most likely Awd (legacy,impreza,forester)

Quidam is saying that to unload the stress on the 4wd from driving on pavement, drive it around on gravel. After that then switch back into 2wd.

Thanks. Now I get it. I was also going to ask if it is an interference engine but the board read my mind - thanks again! He said it was about time to do the belt. I will get some pics soon.

So is the belt as hard as my 99 was? Do you have to pull the engine?

One stupid question, is there a sound if you don't, "unwind" it?

Edited by ubtripn

Timing belts?

I have never replaced them in an EJ engine before, so I wouldn't know which one is more difficult. But the EA82 timing belts aren't that hard. You can do it all with the engine in the car. There should be a thread around here somewhere with instructions.

Is my 99 all-wheel drive?

Yes

I heard I could just pull a fuse on that one to make it front wheel drive...

I may be wrong (I am still learning New Gen myself) but I think you actually put a fuse in.

I found all new tools for changing the spare but is the jack under the tire?

Again I could be wrong, I don't do ea82, but I think the jack is in one of the rear compartments. Either in an interior side panel near the taillights or in the floor compartment.

I don't remember when all the rear part of the hatch stuff changed for EA82s...the Loyale has a compartment in the wall on each side, a big center compartment in the floor with a hatch lid, and a smaller compartment in the floor on each side of the big compartment. The smaller ones have cardboard-ish covers. Pretty sure my jack was in one of the small floor ones.

Other EA82 gens had either one or two side compartments in the wall, and one or none in the floor--I'm not remembering precisely which had what as it is something I observed in passing while wandering through the junkyard looking for odd things I might want for my Loyale. I feel like at least one had the spare in the back in a big hole in the floor, but I'm not sure. (Mine is under the hood/above the motor).

FTR, though, I ditched the scissor jack and picked up a small lifty one at Harbor Freight. Way better--I've had too many scissor jacks fail or threaten to fail or tip for me to trust them as a primary lifter. (Ok, only one, but that was enough). Little lift jacks can lower on their own, but at least they're still in a position to re-lift the car (or at least be jammed under in such a way as to keep the thing from being a total catastrophe).