Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seal where axle attaches to the transmission?

I'm swapping the front passenger axle on my '02 Outback (as anyone who read this thread will know).

With the axle out, Subaru recommends swapping the axle shaft seal. They gave me a part number (which they did not have stock of) and I purchased the cross-referenced part number from AutoZone.

Unfortunately, it doesn't fit. Here's the picture without the seal:

attachment.php?attachmentid=9063&stc=1&d=1319563981

You can see where I believe that seal is supposed to fit - inside the inner most metal ring. We had to scrape the old seal out because it was falling apart.

The new seal is clearly too big. It neither fits inside the inner ring, nor between the two rings:

attachment.php?attachmentid=9062&stc=1&d=1319563981

Only I can't figure out what seal I'm supposed to buy. The local Subaru place just parroted back the same part number they gave me initially (806732030). I verified that the auto parts place sold me the correct cross-referenced number, and checked the dimensions against the OEM part that I found online. It all checks out, so I have the seal that Subaru recommended, it's just not right.

Thoughts? Does anyone have this part number?

Thanks and sorry in advance for my n00b-ness! I have never had a garage to work on my car before, so I'm learning as I go.

post-15647-136027651063_thumb.jpg

post-15647-136027651068_thumb.jpg

Edited by binary visions

LOL.

You can't replace that seal without removing the front diff bearing cup retainer. And you will also need the o-ring that goes around the retainer cup. Make SURE you put the retainer back where it was before you removed it because if you don't the front diff bearing preload and the R&P lash will be affected and will destroy the front diff.

GD

what GD said.

if you do this, mark the retainer before you remove it and COUNT the number of rotations as you remove it.

or you will kill the front diff.

is the seal leaking, i mean is it dripping gear oil on the ground? if not i wouldn't mess with it. it could be a can of worms, especially if you don't do it right.

"With the axle out, Subaru recommends swapping the axle shaft seal"

sounds like some dealer wanted to make sure you bought a new seal. The pic you show, there is no leaking from the old seal evident, so leave all alone would hae been the wise choice. now you dug out the old one and in for a pricey repair if you are paying a shop to do this, otherwise if you are doing it yourself, only the cost of the seal, which is cheap.

those seals have lefts and rights, according to the way the axle rotate most.

Doubt any of the cars newer than 1990 will need those seals, even most of the 1980's cars only weap some oil but not enough to mess with them.

Edited by bheinen74