Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire Size- Big deal or not?

I've got an '01 Legacy and I'm riding on worn 205/65 r16's on the front and newer 195/60 r16's on the rear. I'm thinking it's time to replace the front tires. Most places on the internet (which don't have people as knowledegable as ultimate subaru) say that I absolutely must change all four tires and have them inflated at exactly the same pressure all the time or my center differential will blow up.

I'm a cheapskate so if I can only buy two I'd like to. And if that means I might have to drop $1000 later a new differential I'd rather not. What should I do?

the way the AWD works - you can hose the transfer clutches and more (automatic) or center diff (manual). actually - you *will* cause them to fail every single time the circumference or rotations are not congruent - it's just a matter of how long and when.

the circumference is what matters - most folks aren't mechanically inclined or have the capacity to figure this stuff out - so the simplest one size fits all approach is to have all tires matching.

places around here typically install two new tires by putting them on diagonally on subarus - one on one side rear, one on the toher side front. i wouldn't do it, but it's done enough around here that there must be a reason.

you gotta be smart but you can work around things.