Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1989 STI WRX (Is it possible??)

DC493

Of course its possible :lol:

But do you think it would be worth it in the end? I just have pretty much the shell of a 89 GL wagon and im thinking....Why not turn it into an STI

Ive only seen one other GL swapped with STI everything and have not been able to find the person who built it...unless they are on here somewhere :grin:

It's a lot of work - and you don't gain much with an EA82 body over an Impreza. My personal opinion is that they are not lighter enough to warrant such a massive performance build like that. A regular EJ22 - or a frankenmotor - especially on something like an RX, etc. But a plain GL wagon from the 80's is a ton of work - plan on spending $5k on parts at least and then all the labor..... easier to just buy an STi - they aren't going for much these days for the earlier years.

GD

Doable? Absolutely.

Advisable? No way.

You're basically looking at taking the comfort, style, and handling of the 80s, and wasting the baddest MFer of the 2000 era by putting it into the 80s chassis.

Not to say I wouldn't do it for novelty and shock value if I had the money... But if it's a purposed build; it would be a waste; in my opinion.

I have a compleat STi Drivetrain in my 88 GL-10 Wagon.

I would not trade it for an STi ever. anyone can go down and buy an STi. and drive it down the road and it looks just like every other STi and WRX (W/ STi badges) on the road.

Now is it the best way to spend $10-15K. probably not. but it sure is a hellofalot of fun...

Just $0.02 from someone that has done it more than once and would not think twice about doing it again...

-=Suberdave=-

• Like 1

...anyone can go down and buy an STi. and drive it down the road and it looks just like every other STi and WRX (W/ STi badges) on the road...

Yes, I Agree, it must be a Fun to Drive Car and a very interesting Project, which I really Like the idea.

Also, I Believe that the Added extra Weight and distribution of the Wagon could add a Positive effect on Safety under certain Driving Conditions.

I'll do such a Project if I have the Money & time...

(for now my 2.7 Wagon needs an Engine).

Kind Regards.