Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for a good mechanic/repair shop

TPain

I live in Stanwood (Snohomish County).

I have a 1985 Turbo wagon that needs some repair.

Anyone have any suggestions? I only know of the Skagit Subaru in Burlington but they charge around $100 per hour and I don't know the quality of their work.

Thanks!

It is unlikely that any shop can offer you reasonable repair rates on a turbo model of that vintage. They are a whore to work on and parts availability can be a problem. Depending on what you need done of course - but with an aging turbo of that specific vintage - you're best course of action is to either do the work yourself or find a board member in your area that knows the in's/out's of the EA82T. A shop will be expensive and you can rapidly approach the resale value of the car making it a losing proposition.

GD

The engine, transmission, and major components are in great shape; car only has 51000 on it.

My problem seems to be suspension related or something like that.

When I accelerate, the car pulls left, when I decelerate, the car pulls right. There's also a vibration from the passenger front area that comes and goes; feels like tire is out of balance.

You have bad ball joints or leading rod bushings and probably need a wheel balance.

Ball joints are in the neighborhood of $15 each and aren't that hard to change if you are physically able and have some basic hand tools. Leading rod bushings are similar.

EA's tend to like their tires balanced better than a lot of shops sem to be able to do it. Try the place you bought the tires - they *should* balance them for free.

If you ever get down to the Portland area I could take care of that for about $40 plus the parts.

GD