Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impreza/Forester rust recalll

Just got a letter in the mail today from Subaru. They are recalling 2002-2007 Imprezas and 2003-2008 for rust damage and front lower control arms that might break off.

Got me wondering - this is supposed to be something new? I've junked over 20 Subarus due to suspension parts falling off due to rust.

Now I guess I have to check my "newest" 2002 Impreza Outback. This was an old mans car and not driven much in the winter. Even so, half the exhaust system was full of rust holes. The oil pan on the 2.5 engine also rusted out. Kind of makes wonder how much cost-cutting has been done. I've got a 95 Impreza with near 300K miles on it and it's be on the road every day of every salty winter and summer. Yeah - they salt some of our roads in the summer too. I've had to change rear wheel bearings twice, but the rest has been fine.

The 1995 still has all the original exhaust and never had the engine oil pan rot out yet. In fact, I've got some 80s Loyales that had back wheels fall off but the oil pans never leaked and wheel bearings never went bad. Nor did the head gaskets in the 1.8s.

Just got a letter in the mail today from Subaru. They are recalling 2002-2007 Imprezas and 2003-2008 for rust damage and front lower control arms that might break off.

Got me wondering - this is supposed to be something new? I've junked over 20 Subarus due to suspension parts falling off due to rust.

Now I guess I have to check my "newest" 2002 Impreza Outback. This was an old mans car and not driven much in the winter. Even so, half the exhaust system was full of rust holes. The oil pan on the 2.5 engine also rusted out. Kind of makes wonder how much cost-cutting has been done. I've got a 95 Impreza with near 300K miles on it and it's be on the road every day of every salty winter and summer. Yeah - they salt some of our roads in the summer too. I've had to change rear wheel bearings twice, but the rest has been fine.

The 1995 still has all the original exhaust and never had the engine oil pan rot out yet. In fact, I've got some 80s Loyales that had back wheels fall off but the oil pans never leaked and wheel bearings never went bad. Nor did the head gaskets in the 1.8s.

Did they have something similar to this before? (rear suspension parts on Foresters, or maybe some anti-sway bars or ???)

And, are south, southwestern States excluded?

Did they have something similar to this before? (rear suspension parts on Foresters, or maybe some anti-sway bars or ???)

And, are south, southwestern States excluded?

It's a 21 state recall. CT, DE, DC, ILL, IND, Iowa, Maine, MD, MASS, MI, Minnesota, Missouri, NH, NJ,NY OH, PA, RI, VT, WV, and Wisconsin.

Obviously - I don't know all the proper abbreviations.

I have read the recall notice. Basically, the dealer will inspect the front control arms, and do one of 2 things under recall warranty:

1. Replace badly rusted parts

2. Coat the rust-prone parts in paint to prevent further rusting.

If someone is mechanically inclined and can get some por-15, rust bullet, rustoleum, ec, it can be done a home for the price of spray can, if you do not have rusted parts already.

If you have really rusted parts, go get some new ones for free.

It is becoming quite obvious the grade of metals has been cheapened at some point in the manufacturing process for several eras.

Salt water is just terrible on metal for corrosion. I mean except stainless, which even then can still rust, and cast iron, which does rust but seems more resistant to rusting completely through, it would be the corrosion protection applied to the metal during manufacture that would be most important. They are possibly cheaping out on that, or trying to use more 'environmentally friendly' applications that simply don't work as well.

I feel like you do get a lot of car for the money, but I guess Subaru has to make up that difference somewhere: thin sheet metal body panels and the already mentioned chassis components. My oil pan is starting to rust around the dipstick tube.

I'll spray some paint over it before they start salting the roads because it's not the easiest thing to replace.

Its not salt anymore, it's MAG chloride, 50times worse. The stuff is killing bridges fast, power poles, anything next to the roads.....I wish they would just use rock salt/sand mix, but no, they have to use newest chemicals, which also, BTW, make the air quality suffer too. Time to take back what this country once was.

sorry for my rant

I wouldn't necessarily blame Subaru for using thin sheet metal. Much of that is driven by our friendly government's and consumer demand for increased fuel economy. Also with modern computer based engineering tools with finite element analysis and so on it is relatively easy to design parts to meet the requirements using the minimal amount of material possible. Where as in years past you just made the body panels out of 1/4" plate and called it a day. haha ok maybe it wasn't that thick, except maybe on those big 'ol bumpers!

Its not salt anymore, it's MAG chloride,

Magnesium Chloride IS a salt, just as is Calcium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, etc. What type used depends on what towns, counties, and states decide to buy. Here in my part of New York State, the main choice it salt mined from under the great lakes (mostly under Lake Ontario).

In northern Michigan where I own some rural properites, salt trucks spead brine all summer long on dirt roads. I have no idea what that stuff is, or where they get it.

Regardless it's all very desrtuctive to cars, trees, ground water, etc.

Funny that a few years ago I bought a 1992 Dodge truck from northern Maine. It came from an area that only uses sand. It is almost rust free. If that truck was from my area of NY, there would be nothing left of it includng the frame.

With Subarus - all my Loyales and Justys rusted something awful. But the 1995 Impreza is the most rust-resistant Subaru I've even had. Not so with this 2002.

We've had quite a few come into the shop that would have needed the recall long before it came out... A couple of wrx we work on were towed in because the control arms snapped in two. Another we went to back it out of the shop and the front tire did something funny, we put it up on the lift and noticed it had broken right off. Makes me glad that I don't drive my 02 WRX in the salt. The 92 legacy gets winter duty. The newer ones seem to be rusting far worse over the 90's stuff I drive....

This is were they rot off.

IMG_0069-small.jpg

I just got that pic off from google as an example of where they rust. When they break, they snap in two pieces, usually with rusty bits hanging down,tearing metal, with sharp edges everywhere. It's good stuff :drunk: I've also seen them rust in the larger section of the control arms but usually pinholes start to form in that section from dirt/debris sitting in there.

Here's an example of a broken one I found on google as well.

319902_240632245988438_125971574121173_741853_991381982_n.jpg

Edited by 1982gl4
Added pic

I think around $230 or so, they come with a ball joint (that's our shops cost) it's over $300 a side to replace, and that front U subframe the newer ones have rot out at the same time so that is another $330+ at the same time because it has to come off to change them. Those are just prices from memory, I haven't worked at the shop now for a few months due to being back in school.

I think around $230 or so, they come with a ball joint (that's our shops cost) it's over $300 a side to replace, and that front U subframe the newer ones have rot out at the same time so that is another $330+ at the same time because it has to come off to change them. Those are just prices from memory, I haven't worked at the shop now for a few months due to being back in school.

That doesn't sound so bad for car that paid for.

Thanks

I have seen the lower control arms on ebay new OEM for 65 bucks.

The west coast has plenty of rust free ones, but they tend to "taco" bend and it is a crap shoot to buy used without a picture. A picture will show it bent or not when you are used to dealing with bent ones.

Rust free used stuff is better than new price