Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Heater Core Question

Has anyone found a new Heater core for an EA82? If so where did you find it, I checked everywhere locally here and they say We cant get one........... not sure what to do, I got my car torn apart and have to have it going buy this friday, I figured I could find one no problem but, they dont exsist I guess........... Any Info would be good...............

Jeff

You can absolutely drive without the heater core installed if you need it to run long enough until you find one.

Take both heater core hoses coming off the engine and join them together. You can either run a really long hose (I don't recommend this, you have to get enough hose to make a big loop without kinks) or run down to your local ACE/Home Depot/Lowes/neighborhood hardware store and tell them you need a male-male joiner for two pieces of 5/8 inch hose, and clamps to go with it.

This will allow the engine to run without leaking water, all you are doing is bypassing the heater core until you get yours repaired or replaced. This will also require you to drive with the dash apart (like I am) (for a year now) (the heater does work again, btw, I just haven't finished putting everything together) or putting the dash together and then taking it apart again when you're ready to put the new one in. I do recommend getting the instrument panel back in place and the lights/rear defroster/mirror controls wired back up, but that only requires the front most panel and not the whole dash.

So find a heater core box that will hold an aftermarket core or take your/an old one to a radiator shop and have it rodded and repaired. Shouldnt be more than $40 or so. This is just not that complicated. I've installed used cores - nothing wrong with the option.

GD

I could put a used on in thats not a big deal, I figured since I was there I would do it up good it is a bit of job to to a heater core so I dont wanna get another plugged up one..................................

Jeff

There are different styles of cores for early and late EA82's. Get a heater core box from a loyale and you can use the later model core that is available.

Or just take your ole one to a radiator shop and have it gone through for half the price. Best option by far.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Just went through this last week with my 90 loyale, Napa does not make,hard find, dealer can still get for 400.00 with 4 1/2 hr job at 82.00hr, =800.00 so after i put in new radiator 3 thermostats, went with factory original from subaru 18.00

still cold air finally hooked up the garden hose to heater core and flushed out and WALAH.... i got heat.......

...Take both heater core hoses coming off the engine and join them together. You can either run a really long hose (I don't recommend this, you have to get enough hose to make a big loop without kinks) or run down to your local ACE/Home Depot/Lowes/neighborhood hardware store and tell them you need a male-male joiner for two pieces of 5/8 inch hose, and clamps to go with it...

Or do what I did on my Subies (also to other many cars) Use a 5/8" 180º Elbow U-Joint Hose...

Portapapeles01-2.jpg

...to Temporary Bypass the Heather core.

Well, I did it Permanent, because No Heather needed here.

Kind Regards.