Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My key fob remote is at the bottom of a river. I need to replace it but I've run into some confusion as to which fob will definitely work with my 2000 OB. I was told that "the number has to match" but I'm not sure if it's the fcc # or the part # that's important.

There's a number of them on Ebay, some with two grey buttons like mine had and some with orange and blue buttons that are listed as good for '99 thru '04 Subi's. Part numbers and fcc numbers seem to mix and match on ebay for the two different styles.

Since I no longer have my original fob with fcc/part numbers, how do I know which one I need?

Thanks,

John

I have an '00obw and it has the style with the orange and blue buttons. I believe that is the Alpine system. Check this out, it will tell you the different soob alarm systems, should be able to figure out what remote you need from it: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html

Thanks for the quick reply! This I find on that cars101. I can't tell if that means I need the grey buttons only or if both colors will work. In other words, did they change more than the button colors for the different years? I guess if you have an '00 and colored buttons work for you it's probably universal...

post-22025-136027652167_thumb.jpg

Not sure if it's working for you but that attachment isn't opening for me. Here's the text I was trying to refer to:

ALPINE SYSTEM, new starting in 1999, used through 2004

information is always subject to change and correction

Used on:

Legacy, Outback all models 1999-2004

Forester 2001-2004

Impreza 2002-2004

1999 Legacy only: Passive arming of the optional 1999 alarm system.

The dealer could program the alarm to arm automatically whether the doors are locked or not. In this mode the doors must be manually locked or using the power lock button or the remote.

In Passive Mode the system will automatically activate in one minute but will not lock the doors. it will arm the alarm even if the doors are not locked. Lock the doors using the power lock switch with the door open. If you are using the remote to lock the doors, there would be no reason to set Passive Mode because locking with the remote would arm the alarm anyway so I'm not sure why this function exists.... To open the doors use the remote or the key, but then the alarm will go off and you'll need

To set Passive Mode:

Open driver's door and remove the plastic step sill that curves up toward the front.

Connect the single-pole white connectors.

Subaru remote keyless entry and alarmSubaru keyless & alarm remotethe plain gray buttons were used 99-01, colored buttons for 2002-04

Either of those remotes will work. I just got an all gray button one from ebay ($15) for my daughter's '99 Outback which was exactly the same one for our '01 Outback.

Ebay usually list the models and year that work. Just make sure it's a Subaru remote, BMW also used them and from what I've read the Subaru version doesn't always work the BMW's even if the part number was the same, so it may be true in reverse.

Programming was easy too from the cars.101 instructions.

UPDATE: I just did a search for "2000 subaru outback remote" and got plenty of hits for OEM remotes.

Edited by Suzam

Ebay sellers don't seem to all think the same way on this but I think you're right. I think it's most likely that the only thing that's changed is the button color. I'll probably get one from ebay today. Thanks.

I haven't figured out how to lock the hatch yet. My key doesn't do it and if I use the on-the-door switch to lock all the doors it will set off the alarm when I use the key to unlock. So far, I've been locking all the doors by hand and leaving the hatch unlocked....

Yes, you can have up to 4 remotes programmed for 1 car. It's a first in first out system. If you program in a 5th one the 1st goes away, and so on.

Also I believe if you program 1 remote 4 times it wipes all the others out, so only enter each remote once. In the program instructions there is also a step for programming more than one fob at at time.

Edited by Suzam

All the 99 Impreza models had it as an option, so you have to look around under the dash. It should be labeled and most likely stuffed up near the fuse box on the driver's side. The Code Alarm system was still used in the 99 Impreza (Alpine was used in the Legacy and Outback starting in that year) so it should be the square style remote.