Ultimate Subaru Message Board

putting a ea82 D/R 5speed in a 91 legacy

91leglift

fwd impreza axles, or some hybrid thereof with 23 spline DOJ.

i wuld assume you can hybrid the trans mount with an ea82 to use the ea82 mounting points.

supposedly you have to shorten the driveshaft.

and then, bellhousing adapter and some sort of mix and match flywheel/clutch.

i would assume, but dont know for sure, but it looks like a FWD ej22 flywheel(stepped in instead of flat) might just work with the ea82 disc and pressure plate.

fwd impreza axles, or some hybrid thereof with 23 spline DOJ.

Another option is to open up the D/R trans, and put 25 spline stubs in

supposedly you have to shorten the driveshaft.

Actually, since the EA82 D/R is shorter than the AWD trans, you need to Lengthen the driveline. 1-3/4 ~ 2 inches works perfect.

You can modify the front Legacy trans member to accept the D/R mounts. The rear sections of the Leg crossmember won't be used.

Use an EA82 D/R shifter......have to fab a mount for the one bolt at the shifter end to the body.

This is from experience putting a D/R in this car. th_car012.jpg

I believe you can change the stubs without cracking the case. I would need to varify this. But back 12 yrs ago when I didnt know much about cars I remember trying to do a cv shaft on a subaru. I didnt realize that there was pins on the axles. I beat both shafts out of the trans without removing the pins the stubs came out with the axles. then I transferred the stubs to the new axles. and put them back in. I remember it ended up working in the end. I would try it again but I havent had a need to change out any stubs. lol

I suppose this would be assuming there wasnt a carrier change involved in the stub swap also?

Edited by roostema4328

I suppose this would be assuming there wasnt a carrier change involved in the stub swap also?

Early gearboxes that I've worked on - L series and up to Gen2 Liberty gearboxes have had the same mountings for the diff output stubs, so there's no need to change the diff carrier over with them.

Cheers

Bennie