Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 DL wagon dies on freeway

I hope I'm not wasting anyones time on an issue that might have already been discussed in another thread if so let me know which one to read. Driving my car on freeway at a consistent 60mph and with no indication the motor just shut off. Tried restarting with no luck, gave up and had it towed. Checked the distributor and rotor doesnt move when trying to start. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

ya could be the timing belt, does it sound different then normal while cranking over? once my cam pulley actually came off the right, due to not torquing down and it kept running on two cylinders but thats why i leave my timing shrouds off is for easier fixin lol i would also check for spark

Possible. It's driven by a gear on the cam.

Is your rotor the set screw type?

They can lose the screw but that would still spin some of the time.

You'll just have to pull the dist. and check the shaft and gear.

Edited by zukiru

+1 on the rotor screw.

even if the timing belts are there, have a friend crank it while you check to see if the driver's side belt is turning the cam. My GL stripped teeth off the belt on the freeway, but didn't snap the belt. so it looked normal, just didn't have any teeth around the crank sprocket to turn