Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Windshield Washer Kaput!

Windshield washer not working. Checked the fuses -- all OK.

1. Where IS the pump? I can't locate it.

2. What's the most likely cause of failure? The pump itself or is there something else?

Is the pump repairable or do I need to find a replacement?

Thanks in advance.

Since you live in the frozen north, is it possible that you put water in your washer reservoir last summer? If so, water in there now has prolly frozen at some time, and ruined the pump. I learned this lesson the hard way years back. Replace the pump is pretty easy, and doesn't cost much.

Sometimes a pump from a parts house will fit. I once got a Ford pump to fit my VW. It fit perfectly. Cost lots less then going to the dealer.

Mine was ruined by battery corrosion and probably me trying to clean battery corrosion on the wife's 03 H6 OBW.

Aftermarket pump from AutoZone seems to work better than the original. A little tricky to pop into the supplied new gasket in the side of the tank. Some minor re-wiring.

Have an independent mechanic do this for you if you're not a DIY-er. It isn't much more difficult than an oil change in difficulty.

Since you live in the frozen north, is it possible that you put water in your washer reservoir last summer? If so, water in there now has prolly frozen at some time, and ruined the pump. I learned this lesson the hard way years back. Replace the pump is pretty easy, and doesn't cost much.

Sometimes a pump from a parts house will fit. I once got a Ford pump to fit my VW. It fit perfectly. Cost lots less then going to the dealer.

Not quite the frozen north my friend. Only has gotten to about 30 degrees here this winter.:grin:

Pump just went out on you. It happens, I've replaced a few of them.

Mine is bad too. I haven't figured out if it's an electrical problem, but as a stop-gap until I fix it right, I used some spare vinyl tubing and connected the rear washer pump to the windshield.

Once I go ahead and do the proper troubleshooting, I understand that if it's a bad pump, NAPA will sell me an aftermarket universal replacement pump for about $20.

Scomber

As I believe has been mentioned they can be real stubborn to get out of that rubber Oring in the washer tank. Probably due to age of the rubber. If you have a used one handy I'd oconsider that. Because I believe you're gonna be taking the old one out to get some leverage on the old pump(s) to get them out anyways.

I've never tried instaling them, but have taken them out to be cheaper to ship to an Ebay customer.

Thanks, all! Being a DIY-er I'll dive in and see what I can destroy!

I had no idea these pumps were so interchangeable. It's been a long time since I did much work on cars. Most of my more recent experience has been with BMW motorcycles.

Again, thanks for the input. Seems like a pretty nice group of folks on this board.

doc

Thanks, all! Being a DIY-er I'll dive in and see what I can destroy!

I had no idea these pumps were so interchangeable. It's been a long time since I did much work on cars. Most of my more recent experience has been with BMW motorcycles.

Again, thanks for the input. Seems like a pretty nice group of folks on this board.

doc

I was surprised too - figured it would be dealer only or some klugeed-up approach.

Funny I should see this thread again. Replaced both front and rear pumps today on a '99 Legacy L. Best way to diagnose if you have a bad pump? Disconnect the plug(s) from the pump(s) and use a test lit or a multimeter to check for continuity. Have a friend operate the pump switches from inside the car as it can make it easier. Once you determine that you have voltage, clean up the connectors and see if it works but more then likely the pump has gone out.