Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 Subaru Part #22631AA000 Rev Sensor

I have an 1986 GL wagon, base, 1.8L. The Subaru Part # 22631AA000 Revolution sensor is bad. This part is not available through any Subaru distribution. I am trying area junk yards with out success so far. I know that I can by-pass it by jumping power to the fuel pump and ignition coil. This does not seem like a satisfactory solution, not sure.

It appears that many Subaru mechanics have never heard of this part. Some of the GL's of the same year have relays instead. Fuel injected and turbo vehicles do not have this sensor.

Does anyone first know where to locate one? If not, can someone give me a layman's explanation on how to substitute something else? Or, does anyone know where or how one can be re-built?

This is a 2"X2.5"X 1.25" box with six blades in the plug in from the wiring harness. It is manufactured by Mitsubishi. It senses revolutions to switch power on to the fuel pump and ignition coil. Black in color, likely not the blue one. Mine is mounted at the base of the steering column, right side, under the cover panel. Another post on a different thread described it as by the hood latch on the driver's left side. I have found those to be the blue housing unit by Denso with 5 pins. It will not work.

FYI,it only controls the fuel pump,not ignition.

In the absence of ignition pulses,fuel pump stops.

A previous poster has reported opening it up and replacing the bad internal relay.

An alternative is to rewire the fuel pump relay coil in order to ground through an oil pressure switch.

3rd alternative is steal fuel pump relay power from another source.

The fuel pump driver in my turbo ECU fried,so that is what I did.

Pump runs w/key on.I didn`t bother w/the oil pressure switch thing.

To find the original part,go to http://www.car-part.com/

Look up a different part for your carbed 86.Rev sensor won`t be listed.

Once you locate a car,phone the wrecker and describe what you need.

They will have one for sure.

I`ll check my local wrecker in the near future.

Good luck.

Run a single wire to the oil pressure switch - plumbed into where the sending unit threads into the oil pump. Attach the wire to one side of the switch and attach the other side of the switch to a good ground (anything nearby that's metal).

At the rev sensor plug - take your incoming 12v hot lead and run that to both the coil and contact side of a 30A relay. Use the wire coming from the pressure switch for the coil ground. On the other side of the relay contact attach your fuel pump power wire and choke power wire.

When the oil pressure trips the switch, it will complete the ground to the relay coil and power both the fuel pump and the choke.

GD

Well let me first say how grateful I am for the informative responses. I have a few options to work with now.

I drove up to Flagstaff yesterday and found an 87 GL. It has the Revolution Sensor. The part number ends in 080 instead of 000. So, I'm not certain that it is the same. Everything else on the outside looks identical. My GL doesn't have the relays and this one did. So, I got the relays as well. I've got schematics for both cars and will track down if the wiring and function seem to be the same for both years. If that doesn't work, I can wire in the relay as described in your posts. So thank you very much for all of the assistance. I'll let you know how this works.

You should be able to wire any of them to work - assuming what you have in your hand is some form of Fuel Pump Control Unit (FPCU we call them). Even the blue one's will work - they just don't control the choke IIRC (from EA81's with feedback carbs). All of them accept switched power, ground, constant power, tach signal, fuel pump power (out), and some do the choke power also. The EA81 FPCU's from cars with normal (non feedback) carbs should also be black and work basically the same. A friend of mine used one of the blue one's for an electric fuel pump conversion on his Suzuki Samurai. They are typically quite reliable unless they get wet inside from a leaky windsheild, etc.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

• 1 year later...

BACK FROM THE DEAD. Does anybody know if it's okay to drive without this box? I removed mine and started the car and for the first time in months it actually idles smooth. Is this part not needed at all?

EDIT: Tried to drive it, and it died as soon as I got out of the driveway so I'm assuming it DOES control the fuel pump. How do I replace the relay? Is there any way to test it?

Edited by Subaru_dude

I just wired mine to a switch and then spliced the power from the fuel pump fuse. I'm planning on doing what gd suggested and running the ground to an oil pressure sender.

As for replacing the relay, it's not acctually a relay, I took mine apart and tried fixing it, but its a circuit bord with a three prong connection. Once their gone their gone as far as I can tell.