Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Most cost-effective way to eliminate the boxer misfire ...er, 'rumble?

Call me a heretic if you wish, but I've never cared for what many describe as the Subaru 'rumble' engine sound. It just sounds like a fairly serious misfire to me.

My turbo Baja (EJ-255) has a crack in the exhaust anyway, and I know that an equal-length header system (truly equal-length, not the nearly-equal-length that many sell to retain the boxer misfire sound) will eliminate the misfire sound.

I'm looking for your experience with the most cost-effective (call it cheap if you prefer; I often do :D ) equal-length header system for the turbo EJ-255.

Thanks for any/all help!

On the right track with the equal length header. Sometimes you can find them for sale in forum classified sections. Check some of the performance Subaru places like RS25 or NASIOC. Might have some luck at Subaruoutback.org as well.

Another option is Ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-STI-WRX-LEGACY-02-06-Equal-Length-EL-JDM-Exhaust-Manifold-Header-03-04-05-/330667221413?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4cfd4d61a5#ht_4247wt_836

repair the exhaust pipe or the gasket. that is what gives tyou that 1 cyl lawnmower sound. If you put an equal lenght header on and blew a gasket, it would sound the same.

make sure to use new exhaust studs!

No, no. It's not a hole causing the sound. That's how 4-cylinder Subies sound because of the unequal-length exhaust lead pipes (and siamesed exhaust ports on some heads) (yes, I have lots of experience with holed exhaust manifolds). I was just thinking of eliminating the misfire sound I dislike anyway, whilst I fix another issue.

Edited by bulwnkl

No, no. It's not a hole causing the sound. That's how 4-cylinder Subies sound because of the unequal-length exhaust lead pipes (and siamesed exhaust ports on some heads) (yes, I have lots of experience with holed exhaust manifolds). I was just thinking of eliminating the misfire sound I dislike anyway, whilst I fix another issue.

Sounds like you need a different brand of vehicle then.

Stone the heretic!

(Or make him buy the equal length headers)

Dave

That is funny!

Seriously it does not sound like a misfire (as you put it) to most of us - simply the sound of a flat four! And there ain't nothing finer :D