Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so its been WELL over a year and about 15K since I replaced my toasted EJ25 with a 96 EJ22. I've been CEL free with no shortcuts on anything, but the motor has been running rich ...and we get a bit of a rough idle when warm. It also feels WAY underpowered compared to the EJ25 - that's understandable from it being a weaker motor.

Someone recommended finding an EJ22 auto/EGR computer and that would have the proper parameters programmed into it - right now I have an EJ25 ECM running the show. On all the swap homework I did beforehand, nobody aver said anything about grabbing the ECM... Exhaust just smells awful and I don't want an 0420 because of a bad cat if I can help it.

Thoughts??

NEVER had a need for a different ECU - jsut sayin'.

Simple sutff - plug wires age and brand.

SPark plugs name and model - BKR6E-11's IIR are what I've had the most succedss with in a 2.2. The 2 dollar NGK's with the green writing. Note one number different than the 2.5 plugs(I believe heat range).

ANy MAF news?

Ever change air filter or front O1 sensor?

From what I have read the ECU doesn't care what engine is in the car as long as the wiring plugs in it will work the same.

I'd look at tune up items, plugs, wires, filters first. Check vacuum hoses.

Mechanical issues could be timing related or something stupid like a ruptured or stuck fuel pressure regulator.

NEVER had a need for a different ECU - jsut sayin'.

Yea, what he said. The CPU has to have a certain amount of self adjustment built in to compensate for when the motor gets old and tired or you drive it from sea level to say the top of Pikes Peak.

That's probably in the neighborhood of 25% or so. One of the beauties of EFI.

hth

Doug

When I did the swap, I R&R'd plugs, wires, coil, belts, and also a TPS because of an immediate TPS code. I put all new vac lines as well - every inch.

I'm getting about 24mpg on a long road trip - and 20-21 in town. We have an '03 Impreza OB that gets about the same. (Not NEARLY as rich)

Yes, its run rich since the first crank. I absolutely notice its way worse at cold start. The rough idle was actually a bigger concern that I linked with the "rich" condition - maybe?

Since the swap, the only code I ever got was an EGR, but that was because the little metal tube from the TB to the EGR modulator clogged.

I never have replaced the upstream sensor ...AND I'm also running the EJ25 intake with MAF. I have the EJ22 intake, but its in awful condition. Could that be it?? ...I just would have sworn that this level of "richness" would have thrown a code at some point. There are mornings that this thing smells like its spitting raw fuel out the pipe.

I was just curious if there was anything I could do to manually fool it into leaning.

I'm getting about 24mpg on a long road trip - and 20-21 in town.

this isn't bad. and these cars will run very rich at start up in the cold.

...AND I'm also running the EJ25 intake with MAF. I have the EJ22 intake, but its in awful condition. Could that be it??

i didn't think the intake on an ej25 would fit on an ej22 (except phase 2 engines), unless you are talking about the plastic tubing from the air filter box to the throttle body.

I would start by getting a real voltage reading from the signal wire on the upstream O2 sensor. If the engine is running rich, the voltage should reflect that (should be high 700-900mv). If in fact it's running rich and the O2 voltage is stuck at mid-point 450mv or so then the sensor is probably bad. At least this will give you a place to start looking. Rich indications with matching O2 voltage = some other type of failure - coolant sensor, MAF problem, partially stuck open EGR valve, retarded cam timing, bad pressure regulator, ect. Like GD says use science, and good luck:)

Hm yah I don't know, that mileage really doesn't seem to be too far off from average. If you get winter blend fuel where you live sometimes mpg will drop a bit on that too.

You say the exhaust smells 'awful', what do you mean? You can smell raw gasoline in it, after it has been driven say at least 10 miles? Or it smells like rotten eggs?