Ultimate Subaru Message Board

turbo headers on a NA motor?

do turbo headers work on a NA motor?

I'm looking at options for the exhaust manifold on my frankenmotor build and have been looking at headers on FleaBay....all the headers i've seen for ej25 NA engines have the outlet at 90 deg to the driveline direction....meaning i would need another 90 deg bend to get the exhaust pointed rearward again

most of the turbo headers have the outlet pointing directly rearwards which is more what i want....

however if turbo headers won't work on a NA motor then i will get the NA headers and alter the rest of the exhaust to fit up to it

also are the all dual exhaust port EJ engines able to fit exhaust manifolds from all other years that are dual port?...I.E will a 06 DP header fit a 95 DP motor?

also are the all dual exhaust port EJ engines able to fit exhaust manifolds from all other years that are dual port?...I.E will a 06 DP header fit a 95 DP motor?

Yes, so yes, turbo headers will bolt to a non-turbo motor.

BUT, it will not clear an n/a engine crossmember.

Sorry if this is a hijack but if I used my ea81 turbo coupe crossmember on my hatch and a turbo header which run under $150 bucks on ebay vs $275 up. Then had a connection pipe made up at an exhaust shop that in theory should work right? Plus it would tuck the exhaust up a little higher.

i was thinking about this sort of manifold http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Manifold-Header-Impreza-WRX-EJ20-02-07-/350525972720?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru&vxp=mtr&hash=item519cf9e0f0

it brings the exhaust out on the right side of the motor to stay clear of my LPG fuel line (reg's mean's there must be an 8" minimum gap between any part of the LPG system and the exhaust)

i would just need to make a pipe that goes under the front cross-member and meets up with that type of pipe

Edited by LPGsuperchargedBrumby

i would just need to make a pipe that goes under the front cross-member

BUT, it will not clear an n/a engine crossmember.

That flange will be right up against the stock crossmember. It'll take some serious modification

If I recall the turbos also have a different water pump as the turbo manifold would interfere with the normally aspirated one's housing, so the water pump may have to be swapped out as well.

This is also true. The tstat housing comes straight out the bottom of a n/a pump, and it comes out the front of a turbo. So you'd need a turbo pump and tstat housing.

The wrx thermostat comes out really close to the line of the timing belt cover. It looks like the hose would be a pain to route unless you got tricky and had a 90 welded onto the ea81 radiator

Here's a shot of my ej22 bolted in with the ea81 radiator in place. Hope that's useful.

waterpumpclearance.jpg

Picture I got off google search that shows that the thermostat housing on a wrx

wrxwaterpump.jpg

Edited by 86hatchback