Ultimate Subaru Message Board

had a crazy idea

We used to race a vehicle that started out as a 1st gen 6 cyl bronco. By the time we moved to the next frame we had a blown alcohol fueled 350 in the bronco chassis with FWD Eldorado front ends for both rears with torsion bar suspension and a home made chain driven transfer case topped with a body made from streched and widened Samuri body panels. Looked like a Suzuki but we called it Mudgasm. So yeah you can do anything you want!!! Bright yellow and raced bogs and hops from New York to the Carolinas in the late 80's some of y'all might have seen her run.

I knew a guy who shoehorned a cast iron SBC into an Opel Kadett. It was a handfull to drive, that's for sure.

If you started with an LS series small block you have aluminum block, heads, plastic intake, and even a factory dry sump can be had to set the motor low in the chassis.

500 hp stock, you want the LS7, it's even got TI connecting rods and valves to help you out with the weight. But it would only be two wheel drive.:brow:

:Flame:You're a crazy man, OP.:popcorn::)

Edited by Quidam

ive got three sbcs just sitting there in my garage i helped put a sbc in a mg the other and the idea came to me.just sounds awesome. im working on geting an lq9 outa a cadi ext to put in my blazer its gona get twin remote mount turbos to stay away from all the mud.

pointlessly HEAVY!!! chevy 350s have a lot less horsepower per lb, than an

ej22.

also, ls1 is not that aazing of an engine. everyone has them, i had one when they first came out, in a convertible firebird. fast by 1996 standards. not that amazing these days. 280 horsepower from a 5.7liter? yawn...

my factory stock 2009 toyota tacoma gets that from a very basic and standard 4.0liter V6. im not complaining. 280 horse is plenty for me. but it CAME WITH 280hp. i didnt go though long frustating alterations and frame cutting/welding to get that engine.

the ecotec inline 4 looks like a better option. the LNF 2.0 has 260hp at 5300rpm and 260lb tq at 2000rpm. not bad. and MUCH better fit, size and weight, than a 350.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-2-4-Ecotec-engine-very-low-miles-/270905415737?hash=item3f13389839&item=270905415737&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

slightly different model. but very nice. and great price.

i thought of this i have a t5 trans and a 12 bolt rear the only problem im thinking is drive shaft lenght its gona be real short. and obeviously everything has to be made custom, like every mount in the car. but like i said imagine the power to wieght old burus are light.

no you are very correct. the ls1 came out in 97.

my car was a 95 firebird formula. came with the LT1.

but i bought it from a renton honda dealership. and it was the dealerships owners previous personal car. i bought it with roughly 12,000 miles on it,

he got the honda s1000 to replace the firebird. he had dropped in a 98 ls1 off of a totaled vette. ls1 was like the base model engine on vettes at the time, i think. it had a lot of power. but i got that just after getting used to my 69 riviera gs with the 455 stage 1, with a few minor hotrod parts. nothing major.

the rivy came with a 430. plenty of power. but the guy i got it from had changed out the heads, or bored them to 455 stage 1 specs, or somethin, i forget, 14 years ago...

anyhow, it was like 510lbs of torque at 2800rpm. and had the sp-400 which is like a turbo-400 that only came out on riviera and maybe gs??? and it had what is known as a variable pitch torque converter. in a sense its like variable valve timing. you get the best of both worlds, high rpm and low rpm.

so it grunted even HARDER down at 1400rpm. and still hummed smooth at 4600 rpm. but apparently they cost a fortune to build and all, so the sp-400 tranny was only around a few years. if they break now, the shops just put th-400 guts in them. so sad.....

im off track now. point being, the ls1 was fast, and better top speed, better gas mileage <not that the 455 stage 1 wasnt surprisingly decent cuz of low rpm torque>, but after all that instant brickwall smashing, stump ripping torque, it just seemed.... like a rpm screamer. now that ive gotten into brats, i kinda like that smaller free spinning engine. but at the time, mehhhh...

i thought of this i have a t5 trans and a 12 bolt rear the only problem im thinking is drive shaft lenght its gona be real short. and obeviously everything has to be made custom, like every mount in the car. but like i said imagine the power to wieght old burus are light.

Well, I hear you and it's true, where there's a will, there is a way. If you're serious, have the means, and that's what you want don't let anyone stop you. And if you do, I'd appreciate reports of your progress. Critics are EVERYHERE, people who don't have a clue about the motivation that drives other people, what makes them happy and why. And it's also true a lot of times that, "Those that can do, those that can't teach."

Doug

809-17801267_freeship.jpg

Above is a ready to run crate motor LS1 and it's a relativly mild LS. Torque and HP come easy with mods. 409 lbs. minus ecu and wiring harness.

Displacement: 346 (5.7L)

Horsepower: 350 @ 5800 Rpm

Torque: 365 @ 4000 Rpm

Edited by Quidam

im in the process of geting two more burus off this guy around here were i live i dont know how likely it is but if i get them ones getting put on an K5 blazer frame.:grin: and i wana make the other one a hot rod of sorts. ill let everyone know and update if anything changes