Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is 60k Timing Belt Service A Hard/Fast Rule?

i'm coming up to 60k miles since i had timing belt replaced on my 2.5 99 outback when we had headgaskets done etc.

can i go a little longer? i'd like to wait until late spring. that would be about 65k. should i also have everything like tensioners and pulleys replaced? the engine has 248k on it.

what is your experience in this matter?

thanks

and I do not know a single person who has the early ej22 who replaces at the 60k interval. We run them til they get 175k or til they snap. then we install a new one to last another 175k

You simply cannot do that on the new ones, cauase you will bend valves when they snap.

I have seen the aftermarket belts and the instruction in the aftermarket kit sometimes say replace at 70k interval. That makes sense, they are not oem quality.

OEM belts on the new ones are 105k interval. Don't go past that.

and I do not know a single person who has the early ej22 who replaces at the 60k interval. We run them til they get 175k or til they snap. then we install a new one to last another 175k

You simply cannot do that on the new ones, cauase you will bend valves when they snap.

I have seen the aftermarket belts and the instruction in the aftermarket kit sometimes say replace at 70k interval. That makes sense, they are not oem quality.

OEM belts on the new ones are 105k interval. Don't go past that.

thanks. the water pump was replaced but i'll have to speak with the mechanic to see if he put a oem belt on and new idlers.

as to "hard and fast rule" - no it's not a hard and fast rule.

every month adds 0.5% (i'm making that up) failure rate (although actually it would be parabolic-ish, not linear), anyway of course it's not hard and fast....risk of failure just increases with time.

can you make it another 50k, of course. would I be surprised if it broke before then - not at all (but you would be!), particularly if the pulleys and tensioner are all original.