Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Random question of the day

Thought this was a cool idea, and maybe it'll revive.

Anyway, I got a quick question;

What would cause an entirely stock vehicle to have an off center steering-wheel?

My 87 GL has a lot of front end issues, it only has 52,000 miles and has never been modified in any way.

When the wheels are straight, the steering-wheel is rotated clock-wise about 5 degrees....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just needs an alignment. Someone may have replaced the tie rod ends at some point along the line, and they lined up the road wheels straight ahead, but couldn't get the steering wheel perfectly straight. That's pretty difficult to do without the help of special alignment tools or a machine.

I'm trying to find out the length of the rear driveshaft on an EA car that would have the 5 speed D/R trans. Anyone happen to know? Is the wheelbase any different between a wagon and sedan of that era?

I know this is one of the hurdles I'll have to jump for a swap to be fully functional. Just trying to figure out if I need a whole new driveshaft built, or if I can steal a slip section from an EA driveshaft and use the rear section from the EJ driveshaft then just have a small section fashioned to fit between that would cost a bit less.

The sedan and wagon models have a slightly different wheelbase, I forget the precise amount but I think it's 5 inches bumper to bumper, 2 or 3 wheel to wheel (on center). Don't recall, I read it in a chart somewhere that could also have had errors--google is your friend! Pretty sure the info is online *somewhere*...

Anyway, if you are swapping transmissions on a single vehicle, you can go from sedan to wagon and just keep the drive train. As far as my experience goes, the transmissions are the same length, the drive train is what varies. Way easier on the engineering and manufacturing end to lengthen a drive train than a trans!

What parts are you trying to swap into what car(s)?

you are not alone. for me it typically comes in 3's not only car related tho. one nice below zero winter friday night a few years ago, my wifes fuel lines and pump (too low on gas, damn women), so we had the car towed, got home to find out our furnace went out, and then paid $500 for a saturday emergency call/repair which the guy said "you still need a new furnace but this will work for now" I cant remember the last thing, but i was so pissed off that weekend. all that crap ended up costing us like $1500

it was lame.

After that weekend I would be saying: :banghead: .

And I almost forgot--I need to get gas in the morning, or I will be trying to get a tow to work :P

The sedan and wagon models have a slightly different wheelbase, I forget the precise amount but I think it's 5 inches bumper to bumper, 2 or 3 wheel to wheel (on center). Don't recall, I read it in a chart somewhere that could also have had errors--google is your friend! Pretty sure the info is online *somewhere*...

Anyway, if you are swapping transmissions on a single vehicle, you can go from sedan to wagon and just keep the drive train. As far as my experience goes, the transmissions are the same length, the drive train is what varies. Way easier on the engineering and manufacturing end to lengthen a drive train than a trans!

Relating this to the rocker panel thread that is on here right now:

If the wheelbases are 2-3 inches different, wouldn't the rocker panels also have to be different? But yet it shows that the sedan and wagon share the same rockers.

According to indysworld.com, sedan and station wagon have the same wheelbase. 2wd and 4wd had different wheelbases though. (at least on 85-87 models - didn't check older yet) Not trying to nitpick anyone, just trying to gain knowledge myself.

According to indysworld.com, sedan and station wagon have the same wheelbase. 2wd and 4wd had different wheelbases though. (at least on 85-87 models - didn't check older yet) Not trying to nitpick anyone, just trying to gain knowledge myself.

That is an interesting fact; I never would have guessed.

i would like to add that its not a bad idea to put a 1" spacer on your enging xmember. this should not require a steering ext. this helps preserve axles.

RV

I agree with this, Under acceleration while turning a corner with my 2" lifted EA82, I do feel a roughness from the axles. The angle is just becoming to extreme.

I have yet to put the 1" square stock spacers in.

Keep in mind, the Mechanical cool fan will hit the fan shroud and the Rad hoses might need to be longer if you drop the motor 1".

Can anyone point me in the right direction I have an 88 brumby(brat) with a blown motor

How hard would it be to fit a Nissan sr20det into it as I have one laying arould waiting for a doner vehicle?

I have no idea but it sounds like fun!

I think you would need to use the nissan trans and lose the 4WD though. Not sure if you would have enough room to line up 4 cylinders in a row. :confused:

you may be able to put a 4eat behind an sr20det. nissan and soobs shared a bunch of parts in the day. 4eats can be found in.......oh crap i forgot which nissans. sorry. i know a parts guy whose been doin nissan/soobs for around 35years.

Thought this was a cool idea, and maybe it'll revive.

Anyway, I got a quick question;

What would cause an entirely stock vehicle to have an off center steering-wheel?

My 87 GL has a lot of front end issues, it only has 52,000 miles and has never been modified in any way.

When the wheels are straight, the steering-wheel is rotated clock-wise about 5 degrees....

bent rear trailing arm

Legal loop hole, as was the "Air pump" American vehicles started coming out with to meet emissions standards. It really has no purpose.

Shoulder beltts passes as SRS for vehicles that have not engineered an airbag yet, mandated by 1993. I hd a plymouth duster with n airbag for the driver, and an automatic belt for the passenger. What a pile of mitsubishi/k-car garbage. IT was novel, though

Edited by MilesFox

wheelbase is the same. driveshafts are different because the transmisssions are differnet lengths from at to mt, ea to ej, etc.

<<--- Guilty!

but since we are now a seatbelt law state, atleast i dont have to worry bout getting pulled over for not having a seatbelt on. i can only imagine how ************ed one would get in a collision with just the shoulder belt on tho..

slide under the dash and choke on the belt.

Can anyone point me in the right direction I have an 88 brumby(brat) with a blown motor

How hard would it be to fit a Nissan sr20det into it as I have one laying arould waiting for a doner vehicle?

if you are lifting an ea81 3 inches, you can use an ea82 double u-joint steering linkage and it will fit, being longer, with no mods.

Holy F*cking tap dancing christ! MilesFox has unloaded his pent up Subaru Knowledge in one sitting... :popcorn:

Anyhow, good to know about the EA82 steering joint being the longer exception to the EA81. As I may Lift the Ski wagon at some point (4" possible)

Holy F*cking tap dancing christ! MilesFox has unloaded his pent up Subaru Knowledge in one sitting... :popcorn:

Anyhow, good to know about the EA82 steering joint being the longer exception to the EA81. As I may Lift the Ski wagon at some point (4" possible)

I had a similar reaction. I caught up on the thread this afternoon and am still rubbing my eyes this evening.

Good to know about the at v mt. Makes sense since I've read all the "take the drive train with you when you swap at/mt..." bits. Just didn't connect that dot with the wheelbase dot for some reason. Guessing the 0.2 inch difference in the wheel base is not significant as long as there is enough lip to bite and hold the bits together (that is to say there is a little play built into the system that accommodates the small difference). Or there is no difference and the guy who made the chart I linked to just measured poorly.