Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition Issues and Questions

Hello all,

Subject: 1985 GL wagon 1.8 , weberized, 5mt, d/r 4wd.

Situation: The tach was bouncing between 2700 and 3300 rpm when the engine was running in that range. There was serious hesitation (hicups) at low rpms, but ran pretty good above 3500 rpm. So I swapped out coils and coil wire... no change. Then swapped out the disty... and it fixed the problem. However, when this problem started, I noticed a few dash lights coming on ever so dim. Specifically the EGR, the Charge and the Brake Fluid. The dash lights would go out when the engine was above 3000 rpm.

Questions: What is the best source for a new disty? New or Used? And what year/model of Subie uses the same disty?

Next... what's up with the dash lights? Is this related to the disty? Or maybe the alternator? And how do I check the output of my alternator (the volt guage reads about 13-14v).

Last... what is that condensor looking thing wired to the positive side of the coil and then going to engine block ground?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can give me.

Ron W.

I'm not sure what ea82 distys you need but I would get a rebuilt one or send yours to be rebuilt. The condenser thingie grounded from the coil stops interference to your radio and the rest of the system. I would suspect the alternator of overcharging, if you see weirdness coming from the gauges.

Questions: What is the best source for a new disty? New or Used? And what year/model of Subie uses the same disty?

Your's need new shaft bushings. Contact Philbin manufactureing in Portland. They rebush and rebuild distributors. Will be much cheaper than new/reman and better than anything you can find used. They have rebuilt several for me - ranging from $55 to $120 depending on what they need.

http://www.philbingroup.com/rebuilt/special_services.htm

All EA82 carb distributors will work. So 85 to 87.

Next... what's up with the dash lights? Is this related to the disty? Or maybe the alternator? And how do I check the output of my alternator (the volt guage reads about 13-14v).

Alt is bad. Just replace it. The bridge rectifier in the VR has one or more bad diodes.... not worth fixing it. Get an alt for an 86 to 94 Nissan Maxima. My thread on those is here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100559&highlight=nissan+maxima

Pics are on like page 13. Had to rehost them.

Last... what is that condensor looking thing wired to the positive side of the coil and then going to engine block ground?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can give me.

Ron W.

Noise supressor to block AM radio interferance.

GD

Thank you for your replies. GD, I will probably contact Philbin and UPS my disty to them for a rebuild. Then swap out alternator with my spare to see if the lights go off. Meanwhile, I'll look for the 90 amp Maxima alt.

Will I have to change pulleys on that alternator. ie., remove the pulley from existing Subaru, and then put that on the Maxima?

I found a 92-94 Nissan Maxima alt. at partsgeek.com. Part #A2889 for $107. Will that work?

Have you suspended the sentence on Blanco yet?

Ron W.