Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej22 questions

i just bought a ej with 170k for 185 bucks, i pulled the heads off and the cylinder bores still have all the cross hatches around them and motor just has grease all over it and my question is, is there any common things that fail like seals, gaskets, oil pump... i dont wanna tear it all the way down unless i have to.

Truthfully pulling ht eheads was probably a waste of time.

What year is the engine?

Usual - baffle plate, perhaps the 2.2 O rings (one behind cam sensor, one on back of passenger side head), cam/crank seals, the usual stuff.

Perhaps VC gaskets.

But really they are rather bullet proof.

Like I said pulling the head was unnecessary actually IMO.

re-seal the oil piump and loc-tite the screws on the back side. replace the water pump. Put the heads back on, and you got a 200,000 more mile engine. Don'y bother with taking the bottom end apart unless you want to waste time and energy/$$$. Not that it wont do any good, but it is not necessary for the cost and time involved. Only do so if you have a rod knock or whatever.

knowing what year EJ22 would be helpful as there are differences.

EJ22 - don't run it out of oil or overheat and the block is probably going to last as long as you care to maintain it. fantastic motors when properly taken care of with no real issues.

replace the rear separator plate with a metal one.

replace all the timing components - ebay kits are $80 - $200 with all new pulleys and tensioner and belt.

like miles said, reseal the oil pump and tighten the backing plate screws.

replace the cam seals, cam orings, and crank seal (part of the oil pump). basic, easy stuff that's generally apart of a timing belt job on older subarus just to keep the leaks down which it sounds like this thing had.

adjust the valves if it has adjustable valves.

they do best with the stock NGK plugs and Subaru ignition wires but that's easy stuff.

That's pretty much it. Not sure about the grease on it, maybe one of the cv boots split?

Of course the whole thing would look like the bottom of a grease pit if it was leaking oil (probably was). The usual culprits are valve cover gaskets, cam seals and o rings, and the separator plate. If you feel industrious you can reseal the oil pan while the engine is on the stand and easy to flip over. Then you can replace the pickup tube O ring at the same time.

What is recommended for headgasket brand. Would the cheap eBay ones be durable enough or should I go with cometic MLS, felt pro or?

I would buy Fel-Pro, as every time I have seen Fel-Pro HGs, they turn out to be Genuine FHI gaskets (They have the Fuji logo stamped into them)

So Genuine or Fel-Pro.

On 2.2's I have had good luck with the Ebay eristic gasket sets thus far (had bad luck with the brand on an EA82 but that may have been a number of variables). Used one on an EJ25 SOHC also has held just fine thus far- 3 yrs on the oldest work.

Maybe do the valve stem seals if you have a compresser and purchase a kit?

• 2 months later...

Don't shoot, I dug this thread up on purpose.

Sadly have to say I have had a failure on the eristic brand ej22 gasket from ebay.

The gasket material began to erode into the cooling system - symptoms began with an almost clay like crap showing up in the radiator, then bubbles much like I've seen in the ej25 hg failure. Caught it before it became a roadside failure.

Just wanted to make sure someone else will find this on a search of ebay eristic head gasket.

Now all the I told you so's and OEM only comments can ensue :)

Happy mothers day