Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Look what followed me home! (91 Legacy Build thread)

too bad your not down here in tx. i have a ej22 block with 205k on it. doesn't smoke, and ran dang good until I blew a HG on it, and never over heated it, just kept it full of water. It was in my 5 spd 90 lego. I dropped in a junkyard ej22 with 150k.

I would give you that block for $50 and help you do the head swap for beer!

I am thinking about tossing my left over ej25 heads on it for a boost in flow, and drop in compression ratio and turboing it... hmmm decisions decisions

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up the motor. Swapped out a bunch of parts. Swapped over the timing belt, water pump, fuel injectors, evap canister, air bypass valve, and any hoses that looked newer.

Got everything installed. Looks pretty. Pics soon to come. But when I start the car it either A - sputters and dies. I can keep it going for a bit by giving some gas. Or B - Revs WAAAAY high. B is most common. I have to turn the car off about as quickly as it starts.

I have checked and rechecked all vac lines and wiring. No leaks anywhere that I can see. Thoughts on what could be causing this?

Been researching and so far my best guess is the Idle Air Control Valve. When I swapped it over, I used RTV instead of a gasket. I'm thinking if some of it smushed into the valve and blocked the air passage, it will read low and possibly send the wrong signals - hence the revving.

If not that, a few sites suggest that it could be something stuck in the throttle body. I'll check and see after work.

glad to hear it at least fired off for you. :)

yeah, i would be looking at the IAC valve too...also make sure the throttle cables are seated properly & not getting hung up. hopefully it is something simple and she will be purring like a kitten soon.

• 5 weeks later...

Waited long enough to post up pics. Now that she's moving, I've been posting less. here's a few snapshots of the process.

Old Engine out.

IMG_2615.jpg

Carnage. (More pics of this to come. It's demolished in there.

IMG_2617.jpg

"New" engine going in

IMG_2618.jpg

seated.

IMG_2620.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

Had the worst headaches figuring out that I neglected to swap over the o-ring seals for the fuel injectors. I didn't even check to see if there was anything there to be swapped when i swapped the fuel rails over to the new engine. Car would redline right after starting. idles well now. Some more tune up stuff is in order in the not so distant future. But the car runs, drives and rides nice. Very cushy. Very clean. Very smooth.