Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Look what followed me home! (91 Legacy Build thread)

Browsing Craigslist and stumbled upon a 91 Legacy about 10 miles down the road. The motor was bad but everything else was said to be decent. Asking price was $700. since the PO had just bought brand new tires for the car. I inquired about lowering the price if he could keep his rims and tires. Long story short, I paid $300, put my 15 inch rims and tires from my pre-lift Impreza on it and dragged it home. :banana:

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002-1.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

I mean, holy cow! The interior is flawless! :banana::banana::banana:the outside is realistically the best i could expect for a Wisconsin car. it's lost the bottom of the front fenders and has some flaking/bubbling on the wheel wells. The underside was rust proofed and has only minimal surface rust anywhere. I don't think the spare was ever removed. the guy I bought it from got it from an old lady in Milwaukee about a year ago. it really is a little old lady car. 109k with an automatic trans.

So the motor...

IMG_0008.jpg

Anybody seen this happen before? It has a hole right through the block! Anyway, in the market for a good used motor - cheap. I don't think the car needs anything else. For now, my friend is driving a rattle trap impreza, so she and I might be working out a trade.

What sort of engines should I be looking for? EJ22 from 90-94 legacy. Any modification required to use Impreza EJ22 or EJ18?

Edited by AdventureSubaru

I saw one in the junkyard with a hole in the same area, the ej22 stamp was punched out almost perfectly. 90-95 ej22 should work. Ej18 will be a bit less power but should work fine as well.

Just use the intake from the engine in the car and you can probably use any 98 and earlier Ej regardless of size.

If ya need a hand with the motor swap let me know, I've done a few motor swaps ;)

That interior is Flawless! Awesome, for sure.

Thanks. I may take you up on that. haven't swapped an EJ motor yet. Used to do EA81s all the time a few years ago. if you don't mind keeping an eye open for a good cheap motor to drop in there, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks. I may take you up on that. haven't swapped an EJ motor yet. Used to do EA81s all the time a few years ago. if you don't mind keeping an eye open for a good cheap motor to drop in there, it would be much appreciated.

Word, I will keep an eye open.

I know there is an EJ25 for sale on CL for like $450, but who wants to get into an EJ25? lol.

Although, I know out at Auto Al's in Franklin, Norm will do $350-$400 for a complete EJ22, might be an option. They have 1 OBD-I EJ22 right now.

Edited by TheLoyale

have a motor that would drop right in that car - $200 you come get it.

you would need to swap over some bits and pieces from yours (like fuel injector rails, and a few other bits), but the block is in good shape, around 135-140K miles on it

TheLoyale knows where we are.

any 89-81 engine is a direct fit. the 92-94 is mechanically the same, but the pligs on the engine harness are shaped differently. You can swap the engine harness, or use your original intake.

1995-96 legacy and some 97 (brighton) have the smae engine with obdII intake, sou you will have to use your original intake.

Same to say 89-96 ej22e will work.

You will have to know what you are looking at with egr vs non-egr when sourcing an engine.

Got a good lead on a $150. EJ18 out of a wrecked 94 Impreza. If I'm understanding correctly, I'll have to swap over the intake manifold and associated parts from the Legacy. Anything else I should know before I go pull this motor?

Heads are Different, and some of the Electrical plugs "may" not be the same (Don't quote me on that) Also, if you are gonna swap an EJ18 in place of your EJ22, it might be a dog with the 4EAT. Impreza is a lighter chassis vs the Legacy.

Also, if that Impreza is a 5spd, it will not have an EGR, while your Intake does because it is an Auto. Personally, I don't even know if the Intake from an EJ22 will bolt up to an EJ18 block, as I am not to familiar with the EJ18.

Just some ideas you might want to check on.

Many years back, I had a shop swap in a 92, 2.2 motor into my 91 2.2 Leggie. My mechanic said all went well, except some of the electrical wiring connectors were different from one year to the other. Just thought I would make you aware of this.

yeah. Looks like I'll lose some power. But I'd like to get this thing on the road for the time being. I'll stay in the market for an EJ22 and swap that over if I feel it's better. Then I can just sell the EJ18.

I know johnceggleston and grossgary have done the swap before. Hopefully one of them will chime in.

yeah. Looks like I'll lose some power. But I'd like to get this thing on the road for the time being. I'll stay in the market for an EJ22 and swap that over if I feel it's better. Then I can just sell the EJ18.

I know johnceggleston and grossgary have done the swap before. Hopefully one of them will chime in.

uh, why do the job twice??

just curious :confused:

ok - pictures... (i hope)

ej22pic1.jpg

ej22pic3.jpg

ej22pic2.jpg

it looks oily from the power steering pump being removed and the fluid dripping from the lines - yes, it is a bit on the dirty side - we do live on a dirt road after all, but as you can see, the fuel injector ports were covered up when they got pulled.

it is mostly complete aside from the injectors, and some hoses and vacuum lines (that should be replaced anyway) and of course the front accessories (power steering pump & alternator) funny, but this one is the least cannabilized (under the hood) of the three parts cars - our thinking was that this motor would be the one used (in the best shape) if one of our daily drivers took a dump...

we do have one other that is totally complete - car is complete for that matter - but it has a LOT more miles on it (well over 260K) Still runs like a champ tho... was the other half's daily driver until a few months ago.