Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/C question for the Loyale

I'm trying to take off my A/C but do not know how to properly discharge the ac unit. How do you do that?

And does the alt mount up the same even though part of the bracket wont be there? I haven't seen many pictures of rigs with out a ac or anything of that nature

its the EA 5sp FWD

TIA..

If its an Inboard (Factory installed) A/C unit, then you have to use some type of Threaded rod and double nut each end, this will keep the stress off the single mounting bolt which bolts to the intake. It will also keep the Alt from twisting.

Subarus004.jpg

Enginebay004.jpg

As for discharging the System the correct way, you're on your own. I just open up one of the lines and let it drain out (Use a rag so it doesn't spray everywhere)

An Outboard A/C would have been Dealer installed fyi.

As for discharging the System the correct way, you're on your own. I just open up one of the lines and let it drain out (Use a rag so it doesn't spray everywhere)

An Outboard A/C would have been Dealer installed fyi.

I dint know that (about Outboard A/C), welp learn somethin new everyday anyways will I still be able to use the same mounting brackets just minus the A/C?

As to the OP: the legal thing to do is get a shop to drain the system for you. The stuff in the a/c system is...bad. We'll just say that. It has the capacity to screw you up pretty good if you get a decent dose.

It is also considered a pollutant and it is illegal to release it into the air...has to be captured with special machinery.

That said, if you decide to do it on your own (I won't admit to it :drunk: ) there is a valve in the system over near the brake master cylinder. Follow the a/c line from the compressor back toward the fuel filter area, and you will encounter a valve like what you use to pump up a bicycle tire. You can hold down the little nozzle, but you'll get a faceful of nastiness. Use a needlenose plier or bike valve tool to loosen this valve slightly, put a rag over it, wait from a safe distance until the hissing stops. Do it outside.

Note: to loosen the valve, insert your tool of choice into the valve, one piece on each side and just twist lefty loosey righty tighty. The inside part should turn easily.

If the outboard ones are dealer installed, how was the alt installed before the car had a/c? And why can't we get those brackets after market if we want to take the a/c out? I would love to get my hands on those brackets.

At least until I decide to put in a compressed air tank.

Here is my '86, I deleted the a/c and used factory mounts for an ea82 that didn't come with a/c. It looks very similar to the ea81 setup, if you know that engine.

421550_395098913840669_100000216909175_1777223_874647193_n.jpg

417192_395098960507331_100000216909175_1777224_9009266_n.jpg

420652_395098997173994_100000216909175_1777225_514047137_n.jpg