Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tail light not working on 1983 wagon

okay, tested out bulb, and wiring. for the brake lights, both leads have voltage, like you'd expect... but for tail lights, only 1 has 12V, the other has no V.... when testing the other side, one lead has 12V, the other has about 5V.

the bulb and wiring harnes is good, as I switched sides, and it worked fine....

the question.... is the "Stop checker" canister thing (behind passenger side tail light) involved with this? I cleaned the contacts on it as best I could but still no luck. it seemed to be have a lot of crud built up at the connection point...

yeah, blinkers all work, brake lights all work fine. voltage comes across the wire for the brakelights, so the wire is fine.

I can dig into the wiring diagram now, but at the time I was 200 miles away from my FSM at the time :)

does sthe stop checker have 5 connections in the plug, or just 4. the wire harness connector has 5 wires going into it, but the checker thing only had 4 spades sticking up... (not sure if one rusted off :) ... doubtfull, considering the shape of the others, but you never know...)

Your low voltage reading is due to a high resistance somewhere in the line (bad connection). You should check the area that you found the corrosion at and really clean it up as it is most likely your problem.

Just out of curiosity what is this 'stop check' you refer to. Is this something for checking the stop light operation?