Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Troubles with the BRAT! Thanks

Here is my BRAT. I have asked questions from you all for a while. Thanks for your help. She is a 1985. I got it for 800.00. The motor had a broken crank. I put the 83 engine in it, bedlined the bed and lower areas, new seats, new clutch kit, exhaust, front and back mudflaps, silver painted rims with new Delta white letters and more. I got about 2200.00 in it now. It is pretty nice for its age. There are some dents but not bad. The tailgate is the worst. Mostly craigslist and ebay built. I have posted the photos before in another post but thought I would do it again because I got a lot of interest and questions. I still have to switch over the A/C, tighten the shifter and get the bugs out but it is ready for daily driving. I like it so much that I hated to drive it in the dirty gravel.

I just took her for her maiden journey with new cv shafts and the problem is that there is a clicking when under load. It seems less when in 4 wheel but still does it. It does not when not pulling. I had originally put one CV shaft on only as it came with the rig in a box but then when it was making the sound I assumed it was the driver's CV. It helped by 75 percent but still has an issue. It is definitely related to the rotation of the axle shafts and maybe on the left side. It has new brakes but I did not pack or check the bearings but it did not seem like a bearing sound. I felt the bearings as I did it but should have kept going and pulled them I know. I fear it is the tranny. The thing has 108,000 original miles. The oil is clean and refilled in the tranny. It was about a pint low (3/8 inch up dipstick) so I added more. I added half a quart and it still seemed low so I added the rest and now it is about 3/8 inch too full. I have not driven it since I added it. Could it have been low and causing some noise? Is it too full for safety now? I figure I will suck out some oil to be safe. Come on guys, you have been here all along, don't let me down now.

Oh, yes I did tape the mudflaps and paint them to match the roll bar in the back which is close to the stripe. I also sprayed clearcoat on the paint to freshen the peeling clearcoat and to help and protect it. Don't let anybody tell you it cannot be done because it looks pretty good. I did not have anything to lose. The tires set me back 432.00 bucks. I tried ordering others but they never were in stock. I finally gave up and went to a local guy. It was the only ones he could get. (he thought I was crazy) They look great though. It came with new mud and snows on it but they were 165/13 and looked like crap.

post-37015-136027654018_thumb.jpg

post-37015-136027654024_thumb.jpg

post-37015-136027654027_thumb.jpg

post-37015-136027654031_thumb.jpg

Edited by newgen85brat
More information

If it is a bad CV, wouldnt it behave like a bad CV and click while turning? It does not click when turning only when under load and more so when heavy load like climbing. It seems to lessen if the 4x4 is on. With only 108k on it, I doubt it is the tranny. When I bought it, it had a shaft with ripped boots. It came with a new cv in the box so I put it on. Then I assumed it was the other one. The first one I put on the holes for the roll pin did not line up. I had to cut the pin out and it still did not drive in fully when i put the new roll pin in. The other shaft I got from Oreilly's fit great and the pin drove in as easy as the old one came out. Are the pin holes usually a 1/4 off in the passenger side? The shafts only run about 60 bucks. Is there a better quality shaft out there? I only could get rebuilt ones, the new ones were unavailable. Thanks, Walt

• 2 weeks later...

The clicking is most likely the axle.

I work for O'Reilly's and we have the same crappy reman brand (A1 Cardone) that everyone else carries.

EMPI is better, or MWE over in Colorado.

He's on here, or you can contact him through Shawn (Site Admin) as Shawn has his own Suby Shop (Retro-roo).

Reman'd axles are infamous for being junk for Subarus.

Manual Transmissions typically don't have issues with being overfull, as long as its not excessive (like a full quart+ over).

Worst that will probably happen is it'll push some up and out the dipstick if it gets really hot.

Twitch

A clicking noise while turning under load is a CV joint. Clicking when going straight under load is usually a DOJ. Wouldn't hurt to check your driveshaft U joints also. Bad wheel bearings usually will give you some vibration at speed. If they get really bad you can catch it on a wheel check. When my driver's side was going South it passed the wheel check the first time confusing me, doesn't take much!! I have owned my 87 Brat for 15 years this year. I have purchased at least two bad axles right out of the box. I just installed brand new EMPI axles on my Brat because I was tired of the aggravation of dealing with that same crap and I was replacing DOJ boots about every 10k miles. On the EMPI axles I received the pin holes were drilled 180 degrees off. Didn't catch it on the first axle so I have to eventually go back under there and try to drive the pin back out and rotate the axle 180. On mine the flush hole had to line up with the beveled hole on the stub for the pin to fit.

P.S. Nice Brat!