Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys. I'm looking to get some new wheels for my '97 Legacy and I know the bolt pattern is 5x100, but what is the center bore? 5x100 is a very popular size that many different cars use.

Also, how large of a wheel/tire size have you gone without any rubbing/turning issues? I'm looking to do at least a 15" or 16" (until I find tires for my other wheels :))

Edited by brysawn

Any subaru wheel will work other then newer(05+) sti wheels. As for fitment issues, just correct that with proper sized tires.

Loyale/GL/DL are 4x140. So I'm thinking those won't work :D

But I'm leaning towards a Volkswagen or Toyota wheel, and proper sized tires don't do a whole lot of good if the wheel is too big to begin with.

(If you're open to suggestions), grab some '02-'04(?) WRX wheels. 16". Should be able to be had for pretty cheap, and I think they look good on that generation Legacy.

That's what I was thinking also. I've found a few sets, but they have been too expensive. I think $350 is too much for wrex wheels with bald tires

Loyale/GL/DL are 4x140. So I'm thinking those won't work :D

But I'm leaning towards a Volkswagen or Toyota wheel, and proper sized tires don't do a whole lot of good if the wheel is too big to begin with.

What he means is, you should correct for the larger wheel diameter with a lower profile tire mostly so your speedometer isn't wrong.

Check out the Miata.net tire size calculator for help choosing the right size.

A few years ago I got wheels from some late 80's chevy product because they had good snow tires on them. I said 'what the hell' and tried them... they bolted right on and worked great.

I don't know anything about GM products, but that's something to look into as well.

Same bolt pattern as MKIV VW's (lets say 95.5-2005) and I believe late 90's cavaliers. At 2005.5 they went to 5x112's. Earlier years may work though but a lot of them are 4 bolt.

I KNOW they are the same on a 97 Legacy GT as an 01 VW Golf. Offset must be close as well because there were no issues.

Same bolt pattern as MKIV VW's (lets say 95.5-2005) and I believe late 90's cavaliers. At 2005.5 they went to 5x112's. Earlier years may work though but a lot of them are 4 bolt.

I KNOW they are the same on a 97 Legacy GT as an 01 VW Golf. Offset must be close as well because there were no issues.

You've got your Volkswagen stats all messed up. Volkswagens came 5x100 since mk3 (93-99.5) but only in the vr6 models. All mk4's (98-05) are 5x100 including the R32. But when they got to mk5 they changed to 5x112 which is what Audi has been using for a while.

But anyways I picked up some 2005 wrx wheels and got them on. They took some modification to fit. But they look good now.

Edited by brysawn