Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird rattling/ clicking noise

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Do not pull all the wires off the Cap at once swap one wire onto the new cap at a time, make sure you put it on the same terminal ather wise the firing order will be incorrect and backfire (At least there are only 4 wires plus the Coil in the center) try a V-8 Arrg!! :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbtN7KF57YY

I did it again. I tried to make one showing me swapping it but my iPod kept screwing up anyways hope this helps

On a side note I no longer have a miss my car stArts instantly and what little soot I had comig out the exhaust is gone

And I picked up a few more hp.. She pulls like a mule now

Edited by AKghandi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbtN7KF57YY

I did it again. I tried to make one showing me swapping it but my iPod kept screwing up anyways hope this helps

On a side note I no longer have a miss my car stArts instantly and what little soot I had comig out the exhaust is gone

And I picked up a few more hp.. She pulls like a mule now

mine doesn't look in too bad of shape. but I guess it couldn't hurt to replace.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright so got it replaced today. was kinda *************** but got it. Still knocking. my roll pin was pretty loose in the new cv and actually fell out. Is that why it is knocking?

also where can i get a new one?

• 2 weeks later...
Your roll pin fell out?? Never heard of that before.. Has the sound changed since you replaced the axle or is it the same?

If you can make a video of the noise it may help us deduce the issue

Yes the sound changed. And it most definitely is not a cv axle anymore. I think it is the cone washer. I am almost sure of it. Because the sound is irregular.

so replaced con washer. helped but it is the wheel bearings :( at least the parts are cheap. now hmm.... i am in portland right now, anyone have a wheel bearing assembly or know of a junkyard where i can pick one up? les schwab quoted me 189 for parts and labor (100 in labor) but i think i can do it myself? and i just would rather do the whole hub then take it apart and do the bearings i think.

its eazy to do as they are all the same (ea82s anyway)

ive actually replaced both my front knuckles..but i had a parts car..or three.

you would be better off buying the bearings and taking the hub to a shop and pay them a half hr shop time to put them into the hub much cheaper that way.

you might even be able to rent a bearing press. but that might be a little more spendy.

its eazy to do as they are all the same (ea82s anyway)

ive actually replaced both my front knuckles..but i had a parts car..or three.

you would be better off buying the bearings and taking the hub to a shop and pay them a half hr shop time to put them into the hub much cheaper that way.

you might even be able to rent a bearing press. but that might be a little more spendy.

hmm. but i need to find the bearings still

oriellys should have them rockauto should too.. and i think theres even a way to get ones that are better but a direct replacement..

IIRC they are only like$27 ea(you need 2..) http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BCA0/207/03336.oap?year=1987&make=Subaru&model=GL-10&vi=1268681&******=Search_C0055_1268681_3158&pt=C0055&ppt=C0337

oriellys should have them rockauto should too.. and i think theres even a way to get ones that are better but a direct replacement..

IIRC they are only like$27 ea(you need 2..) http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BCA0/207/03336.oap?year=1987&make=Subaru&model=GL-10&vi=1268681&******=Search_C0055_1268681_3158&pt=C0055&ppt=C0337

inside and outside. so go buy 2 of those then walk into a shop and have them put them in? I am down.

so fed up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Urgh replaced, cv, cone washer, and now the wheel bearings and nothing happened. Still clicking. WTF IS IT!?!?!?! Is there anyone in Portland that is willing to take a look at it with me? :(

• 1 month later...
Sounds like the splines in the hub got tore up because of the bad cone washers. Remove front axles and inspect the splines in the front hubs and on the axle stubs..

I dont think so. The hubs look great to me