Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 legacy outback 2.5 no spark

Hello all,

I am new to this forum(actually..first time on any forum).My love affair with subies started about 5 yrs ago when I bought an 97 outback,unfortunately the car had blown head gaskets that was not diclosed to me.I quickly educated myself on all things subie and repaired the car.Since the I have bought 4 more subies with blown head gaskets and given them to my family.All have been sucessfully repaired and are running great...But I recently repaired a 97 2.5..went to start..cranks but no spark,has fuel to injectors,crank and cam sensors both good,timed up perfectly...ecu good,cant figure this out!thinking maybe a ground off??maybe a relay somewhere that I dont know about??Help!!!

Do you have spark?

If not, it could be the cam or crank sensor. Make sure everything is plugged in.

You could try putting in a ounce or two of gas in the intake and see if it fires.

Make sure your battery voltage is good and double check connections.

yes have more than triple checked the timing,also i have a another 97 outback that runs great,i swapped the cam sensor,crank sensor,igniter,and ecu with a known running vehicle and it does not run.i also put everything from the non runner into the runner and it runs.also scanned obd and no codes were found...cant figure this one out.

My guess is mice chewed some wireing.

I've seen it with computers (back in the day) and certainly with cars.

You're swapping components but the same wireing harnes(s) is staying in place.

I could be wrong because you didn't go out of your way to be averly specific when explaining the swapping you did.

But it is a good guess.

You first should make sure that power is getting to the ignition system if you haven't done that already. A blown fuse will cause the trouble and you need to check them carefully as many have mistaken a bad fuse for a good one. Checking for power on each side of them is the best way to check them using the slits on top of the fuse. If the fuses check out then make sure the coils are getting power to them.

• 1 month later...

Wires.

SOmething isn't letting the spark make the loop.

If you've done the coil you can try an ignitor but htey rarely fail.

Swap the wires front to back and see if the problem stays with the wires or coil.

1 to 3

2 to 4

When I did my timing belt I unplugged the crank angle sensor and didn't plug it all the way back in. Got no spark either AND a CEL for it, though I couldn't tell until I had the car running. I figured the CEL was just because the engine wasn't running. I would have known if it occurred to me to hook up my code tool.

Pull the codes...maybe the answer is there.