Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 86 Subaru BRAT

Hello, I just bought a 1986 Subaru BRAT. It is in great condition. It has only about 160,000 miles and every thing works great. It only has three bad rust spots on it one right behind the passenger door is the worst and a small one in each of the wheel wells in the bed.

I am interested in trying to get a new piece of Trim for the Tailgate, a light bar to put in the back and maybe a good front bumper to put on it.

I understand that finding the trim and light bar can be a little difficult but thought I might try my luck anyway. Please let me know if you have one to sell and the price you might want for it

Thanks

Here are a few pics of my brat for those who want to see.

brat004.jpg

brat003.jpg

brat002.jpg

brat001.jpg

Nice little rig! Unfortunately, there are no longer any new tailgate trim pieces. The last one was purchase a few months back. :( Keep an eye out in the classifieds here, junkyard sightings, post in the wanted section, Evil Bay or CL. As far as that rust goes, get it sandblasted down to remove all the rust. Hit it with Rustoleum primer and paint if you want color. If you don't get ALL of the rust, it will come back through the primer and paint. A universal light bar can be mounted to the topper and I think they still make a universal on that will clamp to the gutter, but then you can't open the fun tops.

Yea that sounds like the one that I have. The seller never told me what he bought it for but he did put a lot of new parts in it and gave it a tune up. It was worth it to me, I have been looking for one of these for a while and it runs great.

thanks for the welcome guys. I have actually been a member of this site for a while now but have not posted much. I originally joined back when I had my 93 legacy, but it had problems with the transmission so i sold it to buy the BRAT

Edited by J.T.R

• 1 month later...

it looks good. regardless of what the last guy paid, 2,600 isnt a bad price.

thats about what i paid. and mine was a bit rougher. but like yours, there were a few goodies. i didnt get a canopy with mine. but i got it with the weber conversion. a nice cd deck, and some good 6x9s, and there was a custom fit box between the seats, with some 2-way 4" mids.

im not one to be steered towards an otherwise garbage car, just because of a loud stereo. but if i already want the car itself, a cleanly installed stereo is some tasty icing on the cake.

congrats on the score, buddy.

as far as 4" lift, i went with a 2". it looks great, and seems stable. rock steady.

but a lot of guys prefer a 4" and i have heard great responses. so whatever.

one perk of the 2" lift, the steering, the shifter, and the brake lines can all stay original. 4", they MUST be changed or altered.

the other thing for me, is, if my pumpkin and exhaust and oil pan were at the same clearance, i didnt see a point in going higher.

you may be able to score an extra half inch, though. and 1/2 an inch can actually be VERY helpful sometimes.

ask around, there is a TON of lift info on here. every detail imaginable.

i got mine custom made. but everyone on here that does em full time has a loyal and satisfied following.