Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking to get a clock spring off e-bay for my 92 legacy, my model was never equipped with airbag, models I see all say airbag, will these clock springs fit my non-airbag model?

Reason I'm switching out is that horn only works when wheel turned all the way left or right.

Well dam your right, it's registered as a 1992 but the tag on the door says manufactured 7/91, ok well what is the horn problem then? still clock spring, going to check relay but still can't locate, tore dash apart and found no relay. Haynes shows a spot just behind and lower of left vent but I've seen nothing. Some say behind fuse panel, need to take panel off? Any Ideas ole wise one?

All '92+ have D/S airbags.... you sure you don't have a '91? Lets see a picture of this '92 non-airbag wheel and maybe we can figure out what you need.

Not all '92s. My JDM 1992 VZ Type-R didn't have any airbags.

picture.php?albumid=306&pictureid=3282

Thinking a clock spring is just used for an airbag? So no airbag no clock spring needed?. Looked for relay after taking dash apart, lower part under steering and where manual and other diagrams show, not to be found. One spot a round relay way up in the corner right on firewall next to wheel well is the only chance of a horn relay I've found, have to be a leprechaun to work on. Why would horn work when turning wheel hard left or right? Things that make you go hmmm.

• 2 weeks later...

definitely no air bag, fuse is good, power to fuse is good, horns are good, relay is good, power to slip ring, aka clock spring but not from connection. I tested the power before 3 wire on the three grooves and have power but the center piece that holds the 3 tab connector seems worn out, what exactly is that called and where would I get one?

I pulled the steering wheel, just to be clear and in center is a round ring with 6 little copper prongs, not making good connection, cleaned up and bent tabs out just a bit but I think plastic housing is worn, can,t seem to exactly identify part or locate. Need help.

pictures of horn button, slip ring? I have 12 v on round plastic outer ring but not on connector. worn out I suspect, problem is identifying the part and obtaining. I may need the whole ensemble, white plastic ring and outer black plastic with connector. Anybody know what it is I have and where to get?

post-41177-136027654938_thumb.jpg

post-41177-136027654945_thumb.jpg

post-41177-136027654954_thumb.jpg

post-41177-136027654959_thumb.jpg

post-41177-136027654965_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hey, man. I have a 92 legacy L and I can guarantee you It does not have an airbag. Anyway, I too am having a harm problem, doesn't work at all, though I haven't tried turning the wheel at the same time. Anyway, I have found relays under the driver side dash all the way to left. It's a real pain the rump roast to get to but its there. I've replaced the relay and no luck getting the horn to start. I jumped the horn to the battery and the horn physically works. I too have heard its the clock spring. Did you end up buying the clock spring? Did it solve your problem?

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revisit an old topic, but no one ever answered his original question.  Will a "clock spring for a Legacy with airbag" work for a Legacy without airbags.  My horn doesn't work either, and luckily it slipped by last year's annual state inspection.  I'm due for another one and would like to get the horn working beforehand, but all I can find is a clock spring that says its for use with a Legacy with "airbags only!!"  Is this true?  Or will it be compatible with a Legacy without airbags as well?  I have a 92 Legacy without airbags.