Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4x4 survival kit

ratbrat

thought this might be a good idea for a thread for the up and coming 4x4 enthusiast. I may need some help from the guys who have been doing this a while. Im new to wheeling subi's but not wheeling in general.

Stuff i like to bring on a good outing. now im talking a lengthy outing that might last a whole day a ways away from civilization. maybe camping trip?

-drinkable water

-spare oil, coolant, ect

-tow strap

-flash lights

-non perishable food (i personally like to bring mre packs)

-batteries

-fuel

-jack

-bailing wire

-rope of some sort

-zipties

-12v air compressor

-spare tire

-can of fix a flat (if spare isn't handy)

-CB radio

-winch (if u can carry it, I have used one to change a tire once when a jack was forgotten. very handy in many way)

I know there is tons of other stuff. like tools! but im not super subi savy so im not sure what tools to list... help with that guys? Or anything u like to bring that i didn't list

Of coarse you wouldn't bring all this stuff on every outing you go on. Gauge your trip and pack accordingly. You don't want to be under prepared when u break down and your miles away from any form of cell reception or ppl.

Be safe have fun guys!

I use retired climbing rope. Super strong (used for towing a few times.) it lays down easily and is great for knot tying.

A Come-along is a lightweight alternative to the winch. A come along in combo with climbing rope or long tow straps will get you out of a lot of jams.

Also would add -

Duct Tape

First Aid Kit

Folding Knife or Multi-tool

Warm Change of Clothes and/or Sleeping Bag

Sounds almost like a parts car would be best :)

Depends actually what kind of wheeling you are going to do, and what kind of vehicle. Sometimes you need two spares, sometimes just one.

Same with the jack (talking about another jack besides the one that comes with the car)

I am all ears on where to attach a winch to a subaru that doesnt involve major surgery.

Space blanket and a poncho, jumper cables (or battery pack) If oyu have a smart phone spare batteries for it (for the GPS).

And a Buddy to offraos with, as you really shouldnt go alone if doing something really challangeing, as a winch can't always get you out.

Well im going to be building a tube bumper for my brat. It will mount directly to the frame rails. I will mount my winch to my bumper. ;) just gotta get creative and know how to fab stuff.

Edited by ratbrat

Well im going to be building a tube bumper for my brat. It will mount directly to the frame rails. I will mount my winch to my bumper. ;) just gotta get creative and know how to fab stuff.

Aww thats cheating :)

Then if it is a build, give yourself places to use a high lift jack on as they come in really handy wheeling.

for sure i bet. this will all be down the road stuff for me. I finally got her running pretty good. picked it up last week for $125 with blown head gaskets. just gotta get a windshield and passenger glass in it and she will be road worthy again. :D

At some point the additonal weight of gear becomes a liability. The drivetrains on these vehicles was not designed for extreme offroading and oversized tires, add to that 600 pounds of extra gear plus 3 friends and you are well outside the design parameters.

You can prepare yourself so well that you end up needing the gear because you have it. Sure you could bring both a front and rear axle, but why not leave the rear at home and save the 15 pounds. The less you bring, the less you will break.

Yes, bring something to help you survive, but your car doesn't care if it spends the night on the mountain or in your driveway.