Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need some help figuring out what the problems are..

Ehehm,

Cruise doesn't work when you have a misfire. New spark plugs and wires (NGK brand or OE Subaru) should fix that. If that car has the coil pack on each plug make sure they aren't swimming in oil because of bad valve cover seals.

The brake light is a warning for several different problems, each one will have to be checked individually to determine the source. If the po hacked in some aftermarket hid kit, start by finding out where he ran the wires and disconnect all of them one at a time and see if the light goes away.

It could also just be a sticky switch on the parking brake handle from someone spilling coke in the center console.

:rolleyes:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

filler spouts here in canada they are 145-275 $ depending on app some have soiliniods atached and more lines they have to be looked up by vin # at dealer. The roads here are very salty and realy atacks them lately its been 96-98 outbacks and 00-03 foresters they legacys seem to holdup better less offroad i fugure.

Well, to be a little more specific, If the Check Engine Light is on the cruise doesn't work. It's to keep you from riding on cruise for hundred of miles and burning up the catalytic converters.

Just because the CEL isn't on, doesn't mean it's NOT misfiring. It can take a little time in some cases for the ECU to detect a misfire and figure out which cylinder is causing it.

From what I've read you don't have a code for it, but from what you have described it sounds like it's misfiring on a regular basis. If plugs and wires are not Subaru OE or NGK brand, that's always the first place to start.

Well, to be a little more specific, If the Check Engine Light is on the cruise doesn't work. It's to keep you from riding on cruise for hundred of miles and burning up the catalytic converters.

Just because the CEL isn't on, doesn't mean it's NOT misfiring. It can take a little time in some cases for the ECU to detect a misfire and figure out which cylinder is causing it.

From what I've read you don't have a code for it, but from what you have described it sounds like it's misfiring on a regular basis. If plugs and wires are not Subaru OE or NGK brand, that's always the first place to start.

+10 - i had a misfire that did not throw a code until the stupid cheep plug wire that was the problem almost caused a fire! :o

new NGK plugs of the appropriate size/heat range, and properly gapped (do NOT rely on "pregapped" being right, check them yourself!), and new NGK or OEM wires are a GREAT place to start.

How do I change the gap on a spart plug if its wrong? I know how to check it but I dont know what it should be or how to change it.

depends on which tool you have for checking gap - there are several different types.

the round ones, which are the most common - do as fairtax suggested.

plugs shouldnt cost all that much - usually less than $10 for all four - Wires are a bit more, but should still be very reasonable - somewhere between $25 - $50 - give or take a little.

When you pull the plugs, take a look at them - what color are they? do they have gunky build-up on them? spark plugs can tell you a lot about the internal health of your engine.

depends on which tool you have for checking gap - there are several different types.

the round ones, which are the most common - do as fairtax suggested.

plugs shouldnt cost all that much - usually less than $10 for all four - Wires are a bit more, but should still be very reasonable - somewhere between $25 - $50 - give or take a little.

When you pull the plugs, take a look at them - what color are they? do they have gunky build-up on them? spark plugs can tell you a lot about the internal health of your engine.

Thankfully I know quite a bit about reading plugs, so that'll help. I'm just waiting for her to be done with her car for a couple days so I can get to work! Is there a good way to test for a miss or to test the wires and plugs?

Thankfully I know quite a bit about reading plugs, so that'll help. I'm just waiting for her to be done with her car for a couple days so I can get to work! Is there a good way to test for a miss or to test the wires and plugs?

in the old days, if a car was missing at idle, you could pull one wire, if the engine gets worse (or, with a 4 cyl, more likely dies) you put that wire back, restart, pull another wire. When there is no change, you found a dead cylinder. (bad plug or wire or ???)

Just in the old days? It seems like that should work now? Ha

I wouldn't know how to do it on my wife's H6 with the coil on plug deals.

I really am not experienced much on newer cars.( I read a lot and am trying to learn)

I remember when the only vacuum line went to the distributor!

Valve cover gasket grommets. Common problem and is easily fixable with nothing more than a set of gaskets.

I'd suggest buying new spark plug wires as well since the boots may be damaged. Oil will cause the silicone boots to expand and allow spark to arc to the block inside the spark plug well. This could very well be the cause of your misfire.

Don't remove the plugs until you get the oil out. Soak the oil up with paper towels rolled up around a 3/8" drive socket extension or dowel rod. With it rolled up the paper towel will fit to the base of the spark plug easily and will soak up more of the oil. Then you can spray them out with brake cleaner and compressed air to remove the rest of the oil and any other foreign material (sand/dirt/grit) that might get into the cylinders.

New spark plugs cant hurt either, but they can be cleaned off, regapped and put back in if they are not worn.

I wouldn't know how to do it on my wife's H6 with the coil on plug deals.

I really am not experienced much on newer cars.( I read a lot and am trying to learn)

I remember when the only vacuum line went to the distributor!

Just unplug the wire harness connector from the coil pack. You'll get a bunch of P035X codes for a coil circuit malfunctions, but it won't hurt anything. Just erase the codes later.

Unplugging injectors has the same effect and can be easier and more pleasant than unhooking spark plug wires. You can do that if they are easy to get to. I hear they are under the intake manifold and not easily accessible on the H6, but they are in easy reach on the 4 bangers. Sme deal. you'll probably get a bunch of Injector circuit codes but just erase them. No harm no foul! :D

Edited by Fairtax4me
more/different/better info

Glad to hear its an easy fix.. I think i will be doing it myself then. I've never done it on a car but I've done it to a lot of atvs and motorcycles etc. So i should be able to handle it? Which gaskets am I replacing and where's the best place to get them? Thanks for the help and the advice about not pulling the plugs till there clean. That's genius but I wouldn't have thought of it that's for sure.

Some people don't care, but by burning off all that oil after it pours into the cylinders when you pull the plugs out, brand new spark plugs can get fouled and cause misfiring. Plus, like I said, you have NO idea what might be floating at the bottom ready to fall in and chew up the cylinder walls.

You can get the Felpro Gasket set (does both sides and has all grommets for spark plug wells and bolts) at pretty much any parts store for $25- $30. As I understand Felpro makes the OE gaskets, the same ones you'll get at a dealer. Or you can go to a dealer and spend a bunch more money for the same thing, but get a Subaru sticker on the package.

Pretty much everybody here on the forum who works on these regularly recommends ONLY using NGK brand or Subaru OE (dealer) spark plug wires for the 2.5 engines. They get the consensus vote for being the most reliable.

Is it a simple gasket and I won't wreck anything? If it was my car I'd just do it but if i wreck my gfs car she can't afford to fix it, she can't afford to have them do it the first time either ha. I've just never seen the inside of one of these motors so i don't know.

I was waiting till you got the advice, cause compared to most here

I'm a novice, though on my third Suby at present, but welcome to

the neighborhood!

You should tell your GF to register and poke around, the environment

here is so cool and you can learn so much.

Shawn has created a great knowledge base here.

And remember, it doesn't hurt to become a donor at any level!

BTW, certainly not to detract from this fave of my car sites,

but you may want to check out this page that details Suby shops and a group in your area:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72790&highlight=minneapolis

Good luck!

'97

Is it a simple gasket and I won't wreck anything? If it was my car I'd just do it but if i wreck my gfs car she can't afford to fix it, she can't afford to have them do it the first time either ha. I've just never seen the inside of one of these motors so i don't know.

Yep, valve covers are easily removable. No major engine parts that can be messed up. There are six bolts on each side, a ratcheting box end wrench might be handy. Clean the mating surfaces and fit the new gaskets into the grooves.

I found out why the brake light is on.. The little switch for the parking brake got moved so the lever never touched the switch. Easy fix. Is it possible that the oil just got to full and that causes the plugs to get covered in oil? Cause I think when I was trying to teach her how to change her oil she put a little extra in by mistake. Cause now it kinda seems to have stopped leaking. Before I cleaned the plugs and wires off and they havent gotten oil covered again yet..

In my experience oil leaks into the spark plug wells are very slow, usually taking thousands of miles to fill the holes up. Overfilled oil could contribute to that, but it would mean being overfilled by a quart or more I would guess. Half of a quart won't make much difference.

Another thing that can contribute to oil leaks is the PCV valve. If the PCV gets plugged up pressure in the crankcase rises and will push oil out of seals and large amounts of oil up through the breather hoses from the valve covers into the intake tube/box near the throttle body.

Glad the brake light was an easy fix! :banana: