Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rim back space change

I got tired of hunting a spacer for the rear of the 81 to get the Nissan rims to clear. So in a desperate act I cut the center out of one and moved the back-spacing 1/2 an inch re-weld and took to the tire shop across the street. I figured it would be a roll of the dice and I got the rims cheap. So either a hero or :dead: I was very careful in the reassembly one tack weld mount on hub used a square and a adjustable square to measure at tack turn rim 180 adjust with small beater, repeat several times. Then the 90 degree side of both until all 4 quads were good. I took it to the tire shop told the guy to balance best as he could. And it balanced with one weight! So I guess the old saying of the sun shines on a dawgs arse every once in a while is true. here are the photos of mayhem.

brat002.jpg

4-5-12002.jpg

4-5-12003.jpg

4-5-12005.jpg

4-5-12007.jpg

Nicely done! I am betting you will be flamed for that method but I would have done it too.

What is your offset or back spacing at you think? 3.75, 4.00?

I am trying to get an idea of offset for my gen I Brat.

Nicely done! I am betting you will be flamed for that method but I would have done it too.

What is your offset or back spacing at you think? 3.75, 4.00?

I am trying to get an idea of offset for my gen I Brat.

I wholly expected to get flamed for this but for what I'm going to do with it I have no worries, she will be a trail only ride. The stock Nissan rims were 4.5 inch and I pushed them .5 inch out to clear I have a fat 1/4 inch now. the front are unmolested I get lock to lock clearance with a 195/75/14 tire. And I can get my fingers around tire near sheet-metal So I think I could even squeeze some cable chains on front.

So, if I were to get some wheels that were 4" backspacing like yours I would have no clearance issues with a 195? Would you think a 205 45 R16 would clear as well?

The stock tires were 175/70/13 22.6 inch diameter to 195/75/14 25.5 in diameter 205/45/16 would be 23.3 inches diameter as you can see in photos my 14 are tight, your best bet would be to put one on and see if it will work. There are alot of 16 six lug in the wrecking yards if you explain you need to test fit and leave deposit they may work with you. I left the front 4.5 backspace because I have lock to lock clearance so you may run into problems in the front not the back as I did. Happy Hunting. :burnout:

Good Job, well Done!

That Method is very common here, I know people that even used the Original Subaru 4X140 plate, welded onto Bigger (14" and 15") Rims.

Kind Regards.

Thanks. I was thinking of the 13 into the 14 rim but just wouldn't work with these. I had a set of walamette wheels for my 85 lego back in the 90's my buddy worked there and built me a setof 14's. I searched and they went out of buisness awhile ago.