Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ Cylinder bore comparison

Gloyale

So.....over the years, there's been lots of questions about "can I bore out my 2.2 to a 2.5?" or "why do the 2.5 have more headgasket problems?"

To shedd light on those questions and others, I took some pics today of 3 different phase I, EJ blocks.

JDM n/a 2.0

USDM n/a 2.2

USDM n/a 2.5 (dohc)

Can you spot the differences?

P1010001.jpg

Here's the EJ20 P1010011.jpgcylinder barrel...see how much thicker it is? More cooling space between outer case, large area between cylinders, and lastly.....no notches in barrels for bolt access.P1010012.jpgP1010007.jpgP1010002.jpgP1010015.jpg

Here is the EJ22. P1010009.jpg Pretty thick walls, but less space around for cooling. Smaller space between cylinders, and slight notches for access to the case bolts.P1010014.jpgP1010006.jpgP1010003.jpgP1010016.jpg

Finally the 2.5P1010008.jpg Thin walls, very little room for cooling around. Narrow space between 2 cylinders, and there are even larger notches in the barrel for bolt access. P1010013.jpgP1010005.jpgP1010004.jpgP1010017.jpgIn addition to all this, this phase 2.5 uses SMALLER rod bearings???? recipe for disaster.

Wish I had an EJ18 apart to compare as well. I can only speculate that they are even thicker walls, no notches, with lot's of room for cooling.

Edited by Gloyale

Yeah, i've seen that type of setup. Fixes some of the issues......but not all. the cylinders are still very close to eachother........leaving a very small area of contact.

expensive.

And still you see that a 2.0 or 2.2 can't be bored to 2.5

From that linked site, the stock block they show is NOT a turbo block like they suggest.

cg%20stk%20block%20WP.jpg

Turbo blocks are semi-closed deck, which seems to be adequate for turbo use with nice high boost. The turbo engines have crappy pistons and eat those, but they don't blow headgaskets like the NA ones do, because they're semi-closed deck.

That's an interesting comparison. It would be really interesting to have an ej18 lined up there too. Probably bigger and beefier like you suggest. There have been some people who've put turbos on them with some crazy high boost, and they held it.

From that linked site, the stock block they show is NOT a turbo block like they suggest.

cg%20stk%20block%20WP.jpg

Turbo blocks are semi-closed deck, which seems to be adequate for turbo use with nice high boost. The turbo engines have crappy pistons and eat those, but they don't blow headgaskets like the NA ones do, because they're semi-closed deck.

That's an interesting comparison. It would be really interesting to have an ej18 lined up there too. Probably bigger and beefier like you suggest. There have been some people who've put turbos on them with some crazy high boost, and they held it.

The text IS confusing - but they just label that an EJ25 without any other letters.

no connection with them - just something I recalled seeing. Can't help but wonder if temperature cycling something like that aftermarket mod couldn't result in just as much movement as not closing in the deck. I dunno, CNC stuff is pretty good nowadays.

Can't say for sure on the cylinder walls, but the 25 certainly has the appearance of thinner walls. Cylinders are definitely visibly closer together. But I notice the cylinder walls on each move progressively further outwards towards the outer walls of the case. So this proves that the blocks are certainly NOT the same, and are not just bored out larger for the next larger size piston to fit in.

Another thing I notice on the 25 block, is the size of the indents in the outer part of the cylinder walls. Awfully small distance to the edge of the compression rings.

Anyone that's done multiple HG jobs on those blocks notice if/where there is a typical failure point on the gasket? Could it be nearby those indents?

Another thing I notice on the 25 block, is the size of the indents in the outer part of the cylinder walls. Awfully small distance to the edge of the compression rings.

Anyone that's done multiple HG jobs on those blocks notice if/where there is a typical failure point on the gasket? Could it be nearby those indents?

I'm not sure about HG failure, but I've seen pics of at least one 2.5 block that cracked off a piece of the cylinder,one on each bore, starting from those notches.