Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this unacceptable fuel mileage?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It runs fine, idles fine, starts fine. It's never flooded or smells like gas. It's not leaking injectors.

I got bad gas mileage on the last tank, but that's because summer people are starting to come to maine. They don't know how to drive more than 10 under the speed limit. And it pisses me off. So I abuse the skinny pedal...

Last week my 95 impreza 2.2 auto awd averaged 27. This week im averaging around 28. Granted my awd clutches and reverse went out and ive gota go easy on first gear so ive had the 2wd fuse in to stop torque bind. Idk if that will effect mpg? It definately lost handling without awd. Even before that i could drive it around with torque bind and still get over 25

in general mpg will increase around this time of year as they change over to the summer gas blend.

but the GT ej22 will not get as good mpg as the obw ej22. the reason being is the tire size. the GT has a 1.42 inch smaller diameter than the outback but the same final drive ratio.

the the 4.44 final drive ratio with the outback tires is roughly the same relationship as the 4.11 ratio and the legacy L tires. the GT has a different set up. so maybe that is part of the difference.

are the tires stock? 205/55/16. larger tires will increase your mileage but may throw off the speedo / odo making it difficult to get an accurate reading. but in general, if you drive the car 100 GPS miles and only show 97 on the odo, then there is a 3% error, that would be about 0.72 miles per gal.

clock the odo against the gps on a hiway trip to see what your error is. i put outback tires (and struts) on my ej22 GT and now my odo error is 3.8%.

Edited by johnceggleston

Could be it. My oem tire size is 14. Ive got 15s but theyre 60 series. I believe original is 70 series in which case the overall diameter would be about the same. Plus ive noticed my hyundai gets over 33 now so it could be the early gas blend switch since weve been in the 80s since february

You say newbern in your profile, north carolina?

Winter gas sucks, I drove my 89GL back from that area to maine in december. My gas mileage in maine was a lot less. Crappy gas up here.

I'm taking my leagcy back down there this summer, so I'll be able to see difference in gas quality.

yeah NC. Here we've got the highest price gas in NC. 3.98 for 87 with 99.9% of stations running the 10% ethanol rule and pushing for 15% which im trying to fight tooth and nail.

I drove into Moore Head city every weekend to buy food, and there was an ethanol free station I always filled up at :)

There used to be one down town too and its been bought out unfortunately. I've noticed the best MPG and pep with HESS gas. I havent seen any 10% ethanol labels on their pumps in NB. Now jacksonville where i work their pumps say "May contain up to 10% ethanol" I go to shell next to my house only because its easy to get in and out of seeing as i have no reverse. Plus the closest hess is down hwy 70 about 4 miles or across the river and i dont like driving more than i have to. I love driving my suby but even tho it gets good mpg and only holds 12 gallons i hate filling it up

'

There used to be one down town too and its been bought out unfortunately. I've noticed the best MPG and pep with HESS gas. I havent seen any 10% ethanol labels on their pumps in NB. Now jacksonville where i work their pumps say "May contain up to 10% ethanol" I go to shell next to my house only because its easy to get in and out of seeing as i have no reverse. Plus the closest hess is down hwy 70 about 4 miles or across the river and i dont like driving more than i have to. I love driving my suby but even tho it gets good mpg and only holds 12 gallons i hate filling it up

'

Only 12gal? Is it a justy?

GLs have a 15.9 (60 liter) tank.

Idk but my impreza only holds 12 gallons. Just filled up this morning with 1/4 tank left and i put 9 gallons in and ive had the sending unit out before so i know its right. 12 sounds right for such a small car and with the hump for awd it makes it smaller. Also its a J vin japanese produced car if that makes a difference.

It has a 15.9 gallon tank. Until around 2005 all the EJs had a 15.9 gal tank.

The fuel gauge doesn't read very well. After the gauge in my 98 legacy sits on the low peg I can still drive over 100 miles before it starts crapping out on accel...

And even then I can drive enough 7 miles to a gas station. < ask me how I figured that out.... I put 15.8 gallons in it.

Also, look on cars101 at specs if you don't believe me.

Shopkey says 13.2 gallons. which is 50.0L which is what i found on other car review sites since subaru labels it by Liters (or Litres as it says on my tail assy "2.2 Litre") not gallons. Seeing as my tank was empty when I bought the car and i verified this with my sending unit/pump out because my gauge was inop and i was doing testing. I put a 5 gallon container of gas in it and almost had 1/2 tank (as viewed through sending unit holes not gauge) it makes more sense. Seeing as my tank rusted prior to me getting it im not going to risk running it to E and clog up my pump and fuel system to pull the sending unit back out and check it. I'd love to have a 15 gallon tank. That way i could make it to work and back a 5 day week on a tank of gas instead of 4 days. I found a plastic tank (or internally plastic lined) in a laet 90s outback which is where i got my sending unit/pump assy's from. Maybe it will fit and it'll be larger?

Edited by Recian

Shopkey says 13.2 gallons. which is 50.0L which is what i found on other car review sites since subaru labels it by Liters (or Litres as it says on my tail assy "2.2 Litre") not gallons. Seeing as my tank was empty when I bought the car and i verified this with my sending unit/pump out because my gauge was inop and i was doing testing. I put a 5 gallon container of gas in it and almost had 1/2 tank (as viewed through sending unit holes not gauge) it makes more sense. Seeing as my tank rusted prior to me getting it im not going to risk running it to E and clog up my pump and fuel system to pull the sending unit back out and check it.

I don't know what shopkey is, but I think it's wrong...

its a generic guide for automotive shops use. Ive seen it be wrong a time or 2 but compared to what ive seen with my own eyes and compared to what it's saying i'd be willing to put money on it that i cant put more than 13 gallons in my impreza without doing anything crazy of corse lol

Verified sources: All listed as 13.2 gal or 50.0 L

http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/impreza/1995/features-specs.html

http://www.autobuyguide.com/1995/12-aut/subaru/impreza/specifications/index.html

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/autos/carcomparator.action?carsToCompare.id=3493&pid=specs&trimsToCompare.id=26460

That's just 3. Everything i've found for the 95 impreza L 2.2L automatic AWD says 13.2 gallon / 50.0 Liter tank

You asked before about it being a loyale. Im not quite sure. I know that's what subaru intended to call them before their release in 93 and my car's production is 10/94 which is within the first 2 years but it was the first year of the 2.2L

Edited by Recian

its a generic guide for automotive shops use. Ive seen it be wrong a time or 2 but compared to what ive seen with my own eyes and compared to what it's saying i'd be willing to put money on it that i cant put more than 13 gallons in my impreza without doing anything crazy of corse lol

Verified sources: All listed as 13.2 gal or 50.0 L

http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/impreza/1995/features-specs.html

http://www.autobuyguide.com/1995/12-aut/subaru/impreza/specifications/index.html

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/autos/carcomparator.action?carsToCompare.id=3493&pid=specs&trimsToCompare.id=26460

That's just 3. Everything i've found for the 95 impreza L 2.2L automatic AWD says 13.2 gallon / 50.0 Liter tank

You asked before about it being a loyale. Im not quite sure. I know that's what subaru intended to call them before their release in 93 and my car's production is 10/94 which is within the first 2 years but it was the first year of the 2.2L

http://www.cars101.com/impreza_archive93_96.html#1995 impreza

I trust cars101 over other sources online.