Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, I changed the tranny filter in my '98 outback. Now it is making a weird noise, almost like a vaccum/hydro leak? I don't really know how to explain it.

What could cause this?

-Low fluid

-Too much fluid

-Tranny got used to the contaminents

Can't tell how much fluid is in there. The POS dipstick is not reliable, reads high then low. I used about 7.5qts.

So... you did fill the transmission, right? 7.5 Qt sounds correct as far as I know, but just checking... Some people drain the transmission and fill the front differential :drunk:

BTW: which car we are talking about?

Did 7.5 quarts get taken out?

Draining the pan only gets out about 4 quarts.

Je je... you are absolutely right. I forgot I didn't drain & refill, but disconnected the hose from the cooler and spilled & filled.

Now you know what's going on: overfilled & aereated :)

Idk how much came out with the pan. Prolly bout 4 quarts, but a bunch came out with the filter, and the tube that runs across the filter. Who knows how much came out of the TC. I drove it to the parts store with 4qts in and it made the same noise. The dipstick read low with only 4qts.

I'm not sure I understand your post 100%. Your transmission has the external spin-on filter? If so, which is the "tube that runs across the filter"? :confused:

When draining the transmission (removing the plug) you shouldn't get more than 4 qts, and some more when you remove the filter. There's no easy way (that I'm aware of) to drain the torque converter, so you never have to refill the transmission with the full stated capacity (9 qts?)... only the amount you drained (and that you measured carefully :) ).

If you overfill the transmission the ATF (Dexron III) can get aereated: microscopic (and not-so-microscopic) bubbles form all around. I understand this can damage the transmission...

Edited by jarl

Its too full and by a lot. Drain it again, measure what came out and catch it so you can put a little of it back in.

The dipstick is only used when its in park at idle.

Autos need to be filled as exact as possible.

When I do my drain and fills, I pour my old ATF into a gallon jug that I've marked with lines for each quart. That way I have a really good idea on how much new fluid will be needed to be at the proper level. Usually I get just under 4 quarts when I drain the pan.

Good luck!

So, after removing 3.5 qts from my original 7.5, the dipstick now reads approx. 3qts. low (assuming each hole is a qt.?)It now reads @the low/cold mark. I'm thinking maybe the o-ring did not seat right? That sucks!

Low mark to high mark on the AT dipstick is only about a pint. Trany fluid should be checked with motor running, engine warm, and trany in park.

I'm checking it at idle in park with warm oil. So I drained about 4.5 qts then. O.k. cool. Still have the noise though, so I'm going to take the pan off again tomorrow and check that stupid o-ring. Hopefully that is the problem. The P.O. said it was shifting hard and used some lucas to soften the shifting. Then, when I took the pan off yesterday, I noticed that the magnet was completely covered with metal, there was metal in the pan, and the filter didn't look as if it had ever been changed before. The tranny will crap on me some day, but I want to squeeze every ounce outta this one first.

So for future referance, where does a guy buy another transmition for this thing? The number is something like : 463836957W7645896

I'm checking it at idle in park with warm oil. So I drained about 4.5 qts then. O.k. cool. Still have the noise though, so I'm going to take the pan off again tomorrow and check that stupid o-ring. Hopefully that is the problem. The P.O. said it was shifting hard and used some lucas to soften the shifting. Then, when I took the pan off yesterday, I noticed that the magnet was completely covered with metal, there was metal in the pan, and the filter didn't look as if it had ever been changed before. The tranny will crap on me some day, but I want to squeeze every ounce outta this one first.

So for future referance, where does a guy buy another transmition for this thing? The number is something like : 463836957W7645896

It is a little late in the scheme of your problem, but in the future, it is not a good idea to drop the pan on a Subie AT. I did it once to find a clean filter, and then had a devil of a time getting the pan to seal without leaking. It was nasty removing, then replacing, the gasket for pan reattachment. Changing the fluid is all that is really needed for proper maintenance. There will always be some metal grit found in the pan and on the magnet. That is normal. Others have said the same thing on other posts.

As far as a replacement trany for your car, the best solution is to buy one from a wrecking yard. To find out which trany will fit your car from what range of years, it is a good idea to ask that question as a new Thread.

Yeah I prolly didn't need to do all of this, but I'm glad I did. The filter was very, very dirty. Lucky for me the whole process has gone well. The pan seal seems to be doing well, just wished that stupid o-ring would've seated. And while I'm whining, I very much dislike the position of the tranny/diff. dipsticks. Oh well, should've known better than to buy an A/T. :banghead: