Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lets talk gear ratio's!! in ea82 manual

I knew where the valves would float on all my EA82s.

my '85 was about 6200 (tired motor was tired)

the others were all more like 6800ish.

not that bad for it.

How did I not float valves when I shifted at over 7500? I heard that Subaru motors had valve floating at 10k?

i researched it and it depends, with stock components the peak torque comes in @ 3200rpm and peak power @ 5200 rpm. but that is also with the craptachi, so maybe the weber makes the difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EA_engine

The weber does have torque advantages, whether low end or upper end, not sure, but i love it.

...The weber does have torque advantages, whether low end or upper end, not sure, but i love it.

Usually, the 32/36 Weber Carb is Known in the EA82's scene more for the Lower end Torque... but it adds some Faster Acceleration and Helps the Upper end too.

Maybe certain EA82's with their Craptachi Carb doesn't reach RPM's Higher than 6,200 due to the Craptachi's carb issues, Smog Stuff issues, etc... but other "Tired" Engines might have (also) Worn valves that doesn't seal very well the Cams...

Kind Regards.

Actually, the peak torque doesn't start until 4200 rpms.

2700-3700 is a good cruising range, but not really the heart of the "torque range"

Actually, pretty sure it's torque is around 3k, but it's peak HP is much higher, between 4k & 5k if I remember right. Little different depending on fuel delivery, though. (Well, that's it's rating anyway.)

ive put my ea82t alll the way to the redline...almost daily..depending on how many ricers are out.

8.5k is the most ive gone but i think it will go further..

ive got the 3.90 non turbo d/r with 23 splines

it had a 3.70 turbo 5mt with 25 splines