Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lol I was under the car yesterday near the front getting out the driveshafts and I see this kid start running up to the rear of the car and he's like Subaru in a little kids voice and the women was like yeeah Subaru!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

crap you can't edit your posts after awhile here..

Anyways I took out the old tranny and I looked at the fork and guess what I saw? a crack that started right where it meets the ball on the transmission case.. Lucky for me the replacement transmission came with a clutch fork.

I did forget that ground cable and ended up snapping it, I might have some spare wire and ring terminals.

Two people today just came up to me while I was working saying they were impressed wasn't expecting that. Also I took the old transmission down to the work table and as soon as I sit it down on it's side I heard a bunch of bearings inside.. plus turning both drive axles it sounds really really nasty.

After I get the transmission in tomorrow I will be taking apart the old transmission since I'm curious of what ever happened to 5th gear and I want to see what that metal part was..

OH I checked my rear main out.. I don't know it did not seem to be leaking but the whole transmission bellhousing smelled like old gear oil, old enough that it turned like a greyish looking color that must of been that smell I had.

mounted the TOB on the replacement clutch fork

IMAG1210.jpg

My first time doing these clips I had the biggest hard time.. plus it was like 10 Pm and dark out..

IMAG1209.jpg

IMAG1208.jpg

Took the plate off because I wanted to be sure it was sealed well

IMAG1206.jpg

old and replacement (alum. oxide worked great)

IMAG1198.jpg

this crap was all over the place

IMAG1204.jpg

I ended up btw using moly lube instead of white lithium grease this time only because it's a tad bit thicker.

Edited by 1-3-2-4

transmission is in and it sounds good!

having 5th gear really helps on the highway now!

The new shifter kuncle is great as well as the new bushings on the stay rod.. Sometimes a little too good! as first and third can feel like they are almost in the same position.

Since I have a spare on I was unable to check higher speeds.

it's much harder if you don't have a transmission jack..

Oh btw here's pictures of the old transmission and what those metal bearings where.. and why my car never had 5th gear when I picked it up.. I swear I never seen a gear look that clean ripped off..

IMAG1221.jpg

those bearings came from here

IMAG1234.jpg

the weight dry is pretty much what everyone said

IMAG1216.jpg

IMAG1226.jpg

IMAG1219.jpg

wow...

IMAG1222.jpg

Man that 5th drive gear is polished smooth! :lol: Someobody was tryin hard to keep it goin on the highway. I'd have to save that one.

I don't even know how the bearings fell out of the rear pinion shaft roller. That one sets pinion depth, so if it fell apart the differential would soon follow because the pinion gear would be walking back and forth. You sure they didn't come from the front mainshaft bearing, or one of the center diff bearings?

Man that 5th drive gear is polished smooth! :lol: Someobody was tryin hard to keep it goin on the highway. I'd have to save that one.

I don't even know how the bearings fell out of the rear pinion shaft roller. That one sets pinion depth, so if it fell apart the differential would soon follow because the pinion gear would be walking back and forth. You sure they didn't come from the front mainshaft bearing, or one of the center diff bearings?

I'm positive

Here is the other picture I wanted to show they were all spilling out from here

IMAG1223.jpg

So another thing is if 5th is smooth like that how come the other gear that meshes with it is not smooth as well?

Interesting to see one of those bearings go bad. That's supposed to be the tough one.

Not sure why that 5th drive gear shredded and the driven gear seemed to survive relatively untouched. Hard to say, but I would have to guess some piece of that bearing got wedged between it and the case and knocked all the teeth off in one fell swoop.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm not the first but what's the reason for the crack at the pivot point for the clutch fork? on the one that cracked from the I used white lithium grease but on the replacement I used molygrease

Edited by 1-3-2-4