Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I "Should" be getting the transmission this Friday 2 hours sounds about right for a swap right?

lol my family members have been talking.. blah blah should of got a newer car.. what difference does it make? I already did the hardest part (pulled engine for HG) the transmission is like so much easier to deal with as far as going in and out.

*sigh they will never understand..

Mind you one of my family member's owns a 95 ford tarus who has 95K miles on it and has spent about $10K in repairs so far including a replacement transmission!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least 2 hours. Probably more like 3. I've done it a few times and always seem to run into something that holds up the process for an extra half hour. Comparing the two next to each other should take a fair amount of time. Make sure your ducks are in a basket before you put the new trans in. You have to work on swapping mounts/ brackets/ linkage while the trans is on the floor. It's a PITA with it under the car.

At least 2 hours. Probably more like 3. I've done it a few times and always seem to run into something that holds up the process for an extra half hour. Comparing the two next to each other should take a fair amount of time. Make sure your ducks are in a basket before you put the new trans in. You have to work on swapping mounts/ brackets/ linkage while the trans is on the floor. It's a PITA with it under the car.

Oh yeah I forgot about that.. maybe just to be sure I will swing by the dealership to get the new roll pins, I might hit the linkage today with some kroil to get a head start.

Question I was under my car a few min ago and I was looking at the shifter linkage.. the part that goes to the shift is the one that connects to the round part with the two blue bushings right? How is it held in? Check the amount of play I get.. cheap sub $90 cam too cheap to upgrade right now :lol:

1:16 shows how crazy it is lol being in first gear is still easy to mistake as being in neutral.

nevermind found it!

OB.jpg

IMAG1063.jpg

IMAG1057.jpg

ordered a 1/8" and 5/16" center punch both 8" long looks like my others walked off

Edited by 1-3-2-4

Put on the spare today and drove around a large island lot it's fine but once you start to move the car with the wheels turned it will bind and it binds from just starting.

lucky for me when I move the car it's a easy shot to get where I need to go (about 1 mile) anyways one thing that had me curious it looks like you can't fit a full sized spare in the rear? My tires I'm going to run in the summer are 16's

the stock tire fits in the rear but the cover wont close down to cover the tire.

Put on the spare today and drove around a large island lot it's fine but once you start to move the car with the wheels turned it will bind and it binds from just starting.

lucky for me when I move the car it's a easy shot to get where I need to go (about 1 mile) anyways one thing that had me curious it looks like you can't fit a full sized spare in the rear? My tires I'm going to run in the summer are 16's

the stock tire fits in the rear but the cover wont close down to cover the tire.

on some soobs, you can let most of the air out and put the floor down over a FS spare. but then you have to carry a 12v air pump.

lol so I've been calling around and I called this place in CT anyways it was $250 + tax and I asked the for how many miles it has and he says "it does not really matter as long as it was not abused"

Yeah ok... I rather drive to another sate to buy then to deal with that.

I found one in MA 92K good price so I'm about to head out now to go get it.

Edited by 1-3-2-4

broke crown gear thats the tooth trying to get out have done this to one before mine still drove missing a tooth not very nicly but i got it home need a trany is that a 5 speed or 4 speed ?

Huh? it's a 5 speed I don't know if I can get it out by the end of today given it's going to take about 2 hours to get to pick the tranny up.

JUST got home... ahhh my back...

Ok so the story was I wanted to check some prices out with places that had pretty low mileage.. the one I found in MA in Chicopee for $350 they ended up not having any MT transmission at all but I saw a single auto one.. The guy was pretty nice me and him were climbing the racks and all :banana:

So it was a wasted trip.. so I was like screw it I'm going to drive to the place that had the 86K tranny for $395 the car part place said 50 miles from Chicopee but that was BS lol it ended up being more like 80.. So my one way trip was 189 miles.

So I called this place to make sure they had it and they did and it was already pulled, no core price and 90 day warranty. So by the time I got to the place it was like 4:40 PM and I was overhearing the guys saying they closed at 5 PM..

I would of been SUPER pissed because I guess the Google nav took me all back state roads which took forward (speed limit 45MPH) Anyways that other place was in New-Ipswich, NH

The guy was cool and loaded it for me.. So I just got home and loaded it in the Outback man for 125 Lbs (I weigh 125 too!) It feels pretty light and it's not awkward to handle like someone else said.

crazy man with traffic and all I left around 11:50 AM and got back home at 9:30 PM

IMAG1093.jpg

IMAG1094.jpg

IMAG1082.jpg

IMAG1096.jpg

Edited by 1-3-2-4

Turnpike auto parts? Used to be Tuttles, now run by the Pelletiers.

You should have stopped for dinner at Pizza Haven Too, really good thincrust pizza. I pretty much live in New Ipswich, our land abuts the New Ipswich town line.

I drove down to CT once for a transmission, you made the opposite pilgrimage.

Turnpike auto parts? Used to be Tuttles, now run by the Pelletiers.

You should have stopped for dinner at Pizza Haven Too, really good thincrust pizza. I pretty much live in New Ipswich, our land abuts the New Ipswich town line.

I drove down to CT once for a transmission, you made the opposite pilgrimage.

Yep that's where I went. man the price differences over the transmissions were pretty crazy if you ask me, I wished I knew about the pizza because by the time i got halfway back i was starved!

lol I ended up getting the old half of the stay rod off.. I thought let me just use hand tools because I don't feel like using the air compressor.. WRONG the I think 11 mm bolt was starting to strip early so I was like screw it I took out my impact and like 1 hit it was off :Flame:

The old shifter knuckle was more involved the pin was easy somewhat.. for some reason just the larger pin worked the smaller inside one the punch never touched it at all.. I gave about 2 min of heat then gave it some aerokroil then about 10 hits with the sledge hammer (2.5lb) it came right out.

now getting the knuckle off was hard with just heat and aerokroil so I took out the sawzall and made a cut just deep enough so I got down to the shift rod gave more heat and aerokroil and it came right off.

My phone was skipping lots of frames so the video is a little messed up one one of these.

Also what is that metal bracket on the transmission passenger side that comes down under of the rear housing?

Video of the joint removal.

Inside the access cover.

removed some of that grease on the side

IMAG1107-1.jpg

Edited by 1-3-2-4

lol allllmost forgot about that spring pin today.. well yesterday night just as I was headed to bed I was like crap gotta get the spring pin.. dealer did not have it so I have to wait until Monday.. does it come with the large and small pin in one bag?

I only walked out with a new rear main seal and that was it.

As for the forester transmission I figured I would just clean up some areas so I stripped as much rust as I could from the access plate where the center diff is and for the rear tailhouse extension I took a lot of rust off that and I used some touch up spray (a bit too runny) to give it a somewhat gold look.. The access cover I powder coated with some matte black, I can say one thing it sure does look better then before I started I also sealed it with RTV grey.

After that I used the air gun to clean bits of the case that had damp sand or dust. Next week rain or shine the transmission goes in!

btw I went to home depot today and I could not for the life of me find a solid block of wood that was like maybe 4-5 inches tall.. most of it was like flat boards.

IMAG1116.jpg

IMAG1121.jpg

IMAG1147.jpg

dumb question but given this is the first time this has been removed (bolt from shift linkage) is it going to be hard to get off? I'm guessing if I can remove it I can only get to it after I slipped off the linkage from the shift rod?

What's the replacement size anyways?

Anyone know what size the bolt is for the shift linkage?

I picked up the spring pin 2 days ago and just as I thought it comes as one piece.. with the replacement transmission I heated it up gave it some kroil and it still would not move, in the end I ended up cutting a little notch down to the shift rod in order to break what seemed to be rust holding it on the rod.

hopefully I wont have that hard of a time with the tranny in the car if I have to will I have enough room for a metal saw blade?

Weather was good up until like 4 PM Had I had a 100 Ft air hose instead of 25 ft I would of kept going..

I've just gotta get the crossmember for the transmission undone and then do the bolts.. Oh and man you would of never thought.. but wow I see why people want to upgrade the mounts, just turning the driveshaft while the car was in gear you can see the transmission movement.

Now the front of the car is a tad higher then the rear so I'm wondering if I should put my support block of wood in the rear or the front or both..

yesterday night

IMAG1161.jpg

I never could get these bolts off so I gave up here

IMAG1174.jpg

I got it from the rear diff

IMAG1177.jpg

That stupid center pipe whoever wielding it finally fell off as soon as I went to drop the pipe from the transmission support bracket.

IMAG1178.jpg

T-storm so went to blast my wiper arms.. I painted them before but this time they are getting powder coated cleaned up with alum. oxide.

lol I know you all are going to be like WHY? But cleaned the case of the tranny.. When I get the VIN number I wonder if anyone has a carfax they can run I'm just curious of what happen to the car.

IMAG1189.jpg

This is where I'm at now, tomorrow it should be out.. and damn I just forgot to stop by HD on the way home.. crap but I think they should be open tomorrow?

IMAG1190-1.jpg

IMAG1192-1.jpg

ugh today was crazy had to stop what I was doing to do rotors on a forester then come all the way back and work again.