Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was driving along and all of a sudden my whole car was dragging big time.. So I move forward again and it moves fine.. long story short no gear oil in the front.. I limp home keeping under 20 mph.. I grab some gear oil and I put in a bottle and I see it's got a crack in the case just a bit above where the drain hole is.

That seems like an odd spot for a crack in the case, no?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the spider gears are shredded. Probably a chunk of gear tooth, etc got between the ring gear the case while it was spinning.

Sadly it's toast - whatever happened in there.... well you won't be fixing it with some JB weld for the crack. Retaining gear oil will not lengthen it's life in a meaningful way :-p

GD

Sounds like the spider gears are shredded. Probably a chunk of gear tooth, etc got between the ring gear the case while it was spinning.

Sadly it's toast - whatever happened in there.... well you won't be fixing it with some JB weld for the crack. Retaining gear oil will not lengthen it's life in a meaningful way :-p

GD

Funny thing was I was expecting a bunch of gear noise but never heard anything crazy.. when I had my '03 FXS the front diff went out because the seal leaked for that car the case really got messed up big time.. axle popped out and up which crack the case at the retaining cups.. it was a mess.

I just need it to last for another week but I'm going to take the train to work for a week, I found a good deal on a '98 forester transmission I think it was 86K for I think it was $259 or so.

I can't remember what and where but how did you keep the engine from pitching forward when removing the transmission and where did you mount the strap to keep it level after the transmission is removed?

dude! you don't have great luck do you? man that really stinks.

isn't it possible that something impacted the outside of the case and is now leaking?

did you buy this vehicle cheap - maybe that's why, maybe this thing was previously borked?

i mean i've seen a few blown fronts diffs before too so i'm not surprised if it did but that crack at first glance doesn't scream internal or external impact.

Is that an automagic or manual trans?

The engine will tilt forward when the trans is unbolted.

I hook a ratchet strap on the AC compressor bracket and the other end to the bottom of the Dog bone mount on the firewall. I only crank it back far enough to hold the engine just about level. Too far back and one of the brackets on the trans (don't remember which one exactly) will hit the firewall before the trans gets lined up with the studs on the engine bell housing.

The pic he showed us was impacted from the inside. As for tranny swap the engine wont move. U may need to jack it at the crank to get some tilt back to remove the tranny.

uhmm that's not what I heard about the motor.. have you seen how it sits on the front crossmember?

dude! you don't have great luck do you? man that really stinks.

isn't it possible that something impacted the outside of the case and is now leaking?

did you buy this vehicle cheap - maybe that's why, maybe this thing was previously borked?

i mean i've seen a few blown fronts diffs before too so i'm not surprised if it did but that crack at first glance doesn't scream internal or external impact.

I'm not really worried at all about the transmission I brought the car without 5th gear.. I think I did pretty damn good on getting 30,000 miles out of the transmission.

I wont know until I pull the plug in the morning I spent almost like $100 in flushing it after I got the car because the whole reason why 5th gear was lost was they ran it out of fluid..

But like I was telling someone else I've seen my fair share of hazards on the road in the morning... a friken 5 gallon bucket blowing over into my lane.. 10 wood boards scattered across all lanes.. A potting soil bag in the first lane.

I've been waiting since I have everything expect for the 6 ton jack stands and the knuckle part for the shifter so it can stop flopping around.

Oh and I need the seals for the replacement transmission which I hope I can find the part numbers for those.

Looks like these pins are from the shift fork?

I fished in what I could feel I know I felt another pin but can't reach it

IMAG1042.jpg

And great my right rear is going flat... makes it all that much more easy to get the summer wheels on now.

Edited by 1-3-2-4

uhmm that's not what I heard about the motor.. have you seen how it sits on the front crossmember?

it'll rock forward a bit, but not much. I sometimes shove a piece of 2x4 wood between the alt mount and the upper radiator support to keep it from rocking into the radiator itself.

There's a lot more than one bearing in the transmission. There are two roller bearings per shaft for a total of 4 main bearings. That could be one of the rollers from the pinion shaft main bearing by the looks of it - which would be almost directly above the drain plug.

There's 7 seals actually - counting the o-rings for the diff carrier bearing adjusters, and the speedo drive shaft seal. May be one on the shift rod also....

GD

There's a lot more than one bearing in the transmission. There are two roller bearings per shaft for a total of 4 main bearings. That could be one of the rollers from the pinion shaft main bearing by the looks of it - which would be almost directly above the drain plug.

There's 7 seals actually - counting the o-rings for the diff carrier bearing adjusters, and the speedo drive shaft seal. May be one on the shift rod also....

GD

ah finally found the thread.. never knew we could search by now many reply's per thread made it that much quicker to find :)

So but say on a used transmission with like 86K I should be just good replacing the front seal, no?

Do you know if the hole where the stater motor goes is enough to support the weight of the transmission to get it out of a car's trunk?

I can't find what part number 35047AC030 goes under at subarupartsforyou.com I wished you can search by part number, I'm going to ask.

Edited by 1-3-2-4

At 86k I wouldn't worry about any seals. New gear oil and ride.

Sounds good, So let me ask you a 6 ton jack stand with a 24" max lift should be more then enough to get the transmission out while on the transmission jack right?

I'd say 24" under the rockers should be enough to get the transmission under there. The dogbone mount bracket, and release lever stick up the most, but are easily removable if they stick up too high.

I've picked several of these up by the starter hole, I don't think it's going anywhere.

[offtopic] Looking at drain plug magnets, you guys will get a kick out of this one. :-p

Untitled.jpg

I can't figure out where the little piece of chewed up sheet metal looking stuff at the back would have come from. Gonna take that sucker apart in a few days and see the rest of the carnage. :headbang:

Edited by Fairtax4me

I had that same sheet metal stuff on mine.. matter of fact when i drained the tranny last year during the summer I saw bits of those as well.

I too can't figure out where it's from because it feels pretty thick, thanks for the confirm on the starter hole hah I just need to lift it from the trunk and just get it on the ground.

hopefully with the replacement trans in I wont be doing 3500 rpms at 60 mph