Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all.

Can anyone please tell me the various uses for Ultra Grey vs. Black?

Like, I'm gonna get my oil pump resealed with my timing belt kit replacement.

Can anyone tell me if Ultra Black is ok for this? He says he uses this.

I hate to tell the mechanic what to do, or supply him with parts/supplies, but...

Thanks again,

'97

I use anaerobic sealer on the oil pump because it doesn't dry. If too much RTV is applied it gets squeezed out when the oil pump bolts are tightened. The peices can break off and log the oil passages to the rocker assemblies in the heads. In some cases even clog the camshaft oil passages and cause the cam to seize.

I use ultra grey on oil pans and separator plates. I have had good luck with ultra black on GM and Ford timing covers, and on certain oil pan gaskets.

I use anaerobic sealer on the oil pump because it doesn't dry. If too much RTV is applied it gets squeezed out when the oil pump bolts are tightened. The peices can break off and log the oil passages to the rocker assemblies in the heads. In some cases even clog the camshaft oil passages and cause the cam to seize.

I use ultra grey on oil pans and separator plates. I have had good luck with ultra black on GM and Ford timing covers, and on certain oil pan gaskets.

You can use ultra grey on the tranny case too right?

I pretty much stopped using RTV. The anearobic flange sealants are better technology. They perform well at everthing I ask them to do and they are friendlier to use by far.

Only time I use RTV is to coat cork gaskets, and for situations where the gap is too large for other types of sealant. Such instances are generally only found on domestic cars. I just did intake manifold gaskets on a GM LA1 3400 and had to use RTV between the block and manifold - the gap between the two is approaching 1/8" and that's just the way they built them :dead:.

GD

I never heard of anearobic being used on a transmission case.. if I'm right it would never seal because it's not 100% sealed off with the two halfs?

What are you talking about?

I've rebuilt more transmissions and transfer cases than I can count using Anearobic and I've never had any of them leak.

Transmission, engine, water pump.... what's the difference? A flat, machined flange is a flat machined flange. That's what "Anearobic flange sealant" was designed for.

RTV is messy and unprofessional. As far as I'm concerned that stuff has gone the way of timing lights, cork, and rope shaft packing. If I'm forced to use it - it's because I have an "old" problem that needs and old solution or the manufacturer is behind the curve.

GD

Use the grey. It is the most appropriate sealant compared to an anaerobic sealant. it is only necessary on the oil pump where the block halves meet the top of the pump, or a small dab to hold the o-rings in place during the install.

what brand of anaerobic do you prefer?

Is that a Subaru part, or by who?

And there are two oil pump o-rings, I thought just one?

(This is a 95 2.2)

When I look at the Permatex anerobic, I see three products.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/anaerobic_gasket_makers.htm

High temp, regular, or gasket maker?

Thanks again.

Dan

Edited by 1997reduxe

RTV Silicone is a thing of the past. I throw away any tubes I get in a headset kit because the stuff is very prone to leaking and it doesnt stick worth a ************ to anything.

The best stuff to use, if you need a sealant that wont leak, and is impervious to ATF, Oil, Coolant, Gas etc. The Right Stuff is what I've been using for the past 5 or 6 years and I have had ZERO issues since starting to use that stuff. Before I've had transmission pans leak, or EA82 thermostat housings leak after using RTV. Just to test my theory I decided to not brake clean off any of the oil ATF off the surface of the pan/transmission. No leaks what so ever.

Go to the local parts store and buy the Anaerobic sealer they have on the shelf. You don't need the high temp stuff for this. They'll have either Permatex or Loktite brand, either will work just fine.

Remember about a year ago I had a hard time finding that stuff? In the end I found it at Napa but Like those 4 weeks before none of the auto stores like Autozone and Advance had it..

Not soon after I pull my motor Advance got it in.. :rolleyes:

I still have a bunch of anaerobic left.. Was I the only one who thought it was going to come out real easy out of the tube? haha