Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My transmission is downshifting into 3rd from 4th when it shoudln't

So basically what's happening is the car will be cruising just fine and will even shift into 4th once my speed is fast enough and cruise below 2500rpm's. However, after a few seconds, the car downshifts itself back into 3rd and the rpms shoot up to 3000. To maintain freeway speeds (65mph) the RPMS are pushing into the 4000's. My speedometer does "click" and wobble a little bit but is still very much accurate with my speed so I could see that as being a probable cause. Although I couldn't see the car shifting into 4th if that was the problem.

I've read a few things from: the car being in limp mode, perhaps the cable adjustment is a little off, or the 4th gear is pretty much shot.

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated.

Agree with GD.

I had a similar problem with my 4EAT (going into and out of Torque Converter Lock Up at cruise). I eventually got a Check Engine Light and a P0710 Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit fault code.

I had the internal wire harness (and all the attached sensors) replaced and it fixed the problem.

Year?

Model?

Mileage?

codes/flashing AT light?

and have you checked the fluid level at all??

that is the FIRST thing I would check...

is the level correct?

does the fluid look & smell clean?

or does it look/smell burnt?