Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RockAuto brake parts.

I can sell you the rear calipers (off an 87 RX coupe) only with very good pads that I have left over from a recent purchase of a kit from a member here. I went with rebuilt calipers. On the other hand, you could pick up loaded calipers for the rear from RA for a decent price. Send me a PM if interested.

I can sell you the rear calipers (off an 87 RX coupe) only with very good pads that I have left over from a recent purchase of a kit from a member here. I went with rebuilt calipers. On the other hand, you could pick up loaded calipers for the rear from RA for a decent price. Send me a PM if interested.

I think Florida shipping would kill me.

I do not think shipping from FL (if that is what you meant) would be too much. A USPS box with two calipers and brake pads should be no more than 12 dollars. If interested, let me know, as these are just sitting here.

• 2 weeks later...

I would appreciate a little more information. If there is a problem with RockAuto, please reveal. I have an 83 dl FWD and I am looking to replace the front brakes from the rotors out, so to speak, new or rebuilt calipers, rotors etc. If RockAuto is bad... why? And who is the best?

i have never had a problem with rock auto. ever.

also, i have yet to have a problem with cheap pads. i typically buy the 7$ a set raybestos quiet stop pads. raybestos is a pretty reputable friction compound company. ive never bothered to buy any expensive pads because the 7$ pads stop it just fine.

as far as rear brakes are concerned, every set of brake drum shoes ive gotten look exactly the same, even with the FHI stamp on them and usually a tokico stamp as well, even though they arent in a tokico box.

Some people probably had bad xperience with ROckauto but I havent & I ahve purchased everything from them brake parts, gasket sets, plugs etc.. My only complaint is the freight is a killer , but of course I'm in Canada and the Igloo express only comes by once a month..lol

I absolutely love rockauto. I order from them once every couple months. Never had any issues with them specifically (My local FedEx carriers are absolute garbage....and rockauto doesn't have a distinction between shipping carriers).

Something to be aware of with RockAuto. The applications are not 100% accurate. If you select a model and engine, sometimes it will still show parts that are not applicable. BUT, they do list all the specifications and part numbers available from the part manufacturer. This will usually include spline counts (where applicable, obviusly), sub-models/trim, and actual measurements, they frequently show detailed pictures, sometimes even technical diagrams, so you can make sure it's exactly the correct part. They leave some of the work to the end-user. When I'm ordering EA8x parts, I really try to avoid '85-'88 if I possibly can. I'll order for an '84 if I'm looking for EA81, or '89 for an EA82.

All that said, I've had very good luck with Beck/Arnley parts. They are more expensive, but everything I've gotten is very high quality. We redid my girlfriend's Kia's rear brakes last summer with all Beck/Arnley parts (drums, shoes, cylinders), all much higher quality than OEM (doesn't say a lot....but there it is).

^^^^ exactly this. every part listed has details to it, and if you pay attention to them you get the right stuff every time.

the only problem i have ever had was a left tie rod end packaged in a right tie rod end box. they sent me the right one for free and let me keep the extra left.

and really, nobody is doing anything that extreme with these that they need fancy compound brakes, i usually get cheapos. if you get something fancy, report back on how awesome it might or might not be.

Yes, stay away from rockauto!

Sam

WHAT?! Oh come on, that's ridiculous.

RockAuto absolutely rules. As with buying parts anywhere, make sure what you're buying is good quality. But RockAuto supplies all the info and part numbers on products so you can easily research them.