Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Smokey EA82?!

So I took a LOOOONG sweeping right hand turn off the freeway yesterday, and it resulted in an oil-smoke cloud behind me thick enough that I could no longer see the car behind me. Also followed almost immediately by the return of TOD.

So, what gives, and is there a fix for it?

Car is an 85 D/R, Stock carb'd EA82

happens to all of us. slow down on the sweeping rh turns, youre sloshing the oil over to the left and thru the pcv. as for the TOD you probably starved the oil pump slightly for a moment due to the centrifugal force, resulting in low oil pressure.

Edited by Subruise

Does this recall kit apply to the carb'd motors GD? I've heard of the PCV bypass bits for the FI cars, but didn't see a way to apply it to a carb'd rig.

Figured it was more the nature of the opposed type engine, but I'd still like to find a way to at least limit this, if not prevent it.

If a carbed engine has this problem then you need to clean out all the PCV lines and fittings and replace the PCV filter element in the filter housing. You have too much manifold vacuum present at the suction side (driver's side) valve cover - which means the orificed vacuum breaker line that goes to the filter element is clogged or restricted.

GD