Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ radiator in EA pic request

tractor pole

Curious, why not get a copper/brass ea82 radiator and have 1.5" inlet/outlet brazed onto it? That's what I did. Used a 2 row ea82 turbo radiator, and a shop did the work to modify it for $40 out the door. Fits like a glove, I'll put pics in my build thread soon.

Curious, why not get a copper/brass ea82 radiator and have 1.5" inlet/outlet brazed onto it? That's what I did. Used a 2 row ea82 turbo radiator, and a shop did the work to modify it for $40 out the door. Fits like a glove, I'll put pics in my build thread soon.

try finding a good two row EA82 radiator. Hen's teeth.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great solution. But there simply are getting to be more EJ swapped cars than there are 2 row EA82 radiators floating around.

The junkyards aren't really keeping the old cars anymore. :Flame:

Modify the car to fit an EJ radiator, and you're good to go. If you need a new radiator, you can order one off the shelf.

Full disclosure, my EJ22 wagon has the stock EA82 radiator in it. 18" flex hose with a 1-1/2" outlet one end, and 1-1/4" on the other from Napa makes the fit for lower hose. Upper hose is a stock EJ hose with a chunk of old EA hose as a spacer. Works fine so far, although summer is coming.....may need to get the EJ rad in there before too long.

Edited by Gloyale

Most of the EJ radiators a single row anyhow. The way I look at it, a single row EA radiator, even necked down, will likely be sufficient. Start getting into turbos and the story may change. But even hi comp/cammed EJ's should be good. Really it's more about the ability to remove the heat from the radiator than it is the capacity and or flow. These are both important, yes, but a GOOD electric fan is more important IMO (stress the IMO!).

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The radiator is not the weak link in the EA82 cooling system. I daily drove my EJ22 loyale on the stock, 180k mile, single-row radiator with no fans for most of the year. Just had to watch it when you're going less than 20mph or so (I live in an area where stop and go traffic is non existent).

When that radiator finally corroded it's way to pieces (pull-through aftermarket fan mounts put a few nails in that coffin), I switched to an all-metal one from performance radiator:

https://shop.performanceradiator.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_32557_32785_32786_32787&product_id=10879

Stock Outback hoses, with a spacer at each end to make up the difference in diameter. Done.

Heres what I did to run an ej radiator. Cooling fans will have to be in front of the radiator.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112285&highlight=T%27sunami+Wagon&page=6

Hey you have the same threaded insert tool I do!

that looks really clean :cool:

how is the clearance between the crank pulley and radiator?

Ben

I wasn't intending on starting a flame war.

I am aware that the two row radiator can be fitted with the 1.5 inlet/outlet, I personally have a hard time spending $150+ for a brand new one then voiding the warranty before I even put antifreeze in it. Like Gloyale said, they are few and far between in wrecking yards even up here.

I am thinking that a single row will be more than sufficient for this application (no turbo or high compression)

Thanks for all the replies,

Ben

I have a stock single row EA82 radiator with two 10" pushers controlled by the EJ comptuer in the PandaWagon and it has no issues whatsoever with heat. Cruising through the desert heat on the interstate or blastin' through the Rally-X course - no heat troubles here.:banana:

I have a stock single row EA82 radiator with two 10" pushers controlled by the EJ comptuer in the PandaWagon and it has no issues whatsoever with heat. Cruising through the desert heat on the interstate or blastin' through the Rally-X course - no heat troubles here.:banana:

That's exactly my setup. I even used the EJ relays for the fans, so the ECU will be happy. We'll see if it works for 4x4 crawling at high altitude.

Stock Outback hoses, with a spacer at each end to make up the difference in diameter. Done.

What year?! I already have the upper one figured out. No problem there. I went and picked one up for a 2003 outback today and it doesn't work with my setup.

What year?! I already have the upper one figured out. No problem there. I went and picked one up for a 2003 outback today and it doesn't work with my setup.

I got hoses for a '98 Outback (Outback, because with the subframe spacers, the lower hose has a slightly different bend in it since the engine sits lower. Other EJ cross-flow lower hoses will fit, but not quite as well). I'm not sure if they went to vertical flow by 2003, but that could effect it.

The Loyale radiator is also key. '80s EA82 rads have the lower output coming out of the end tank with a pretty steep angle upward, but '90-'94 Loyale rads have the lower port coming straight out.

I got hoses for a '98 Outback (Outback, because with the subframe spacers, the lower hose has a slightly different bend in it since the engine sits lower. Other EJ cross-flow lower hoses will fit, but not quite as well). I'm not sure if they went to vertical flow by 2003, but that could effect it.

The Loyale radiator is also key. '80s EA82 rads have the lower output coming out of the end tank with a pretty steep angle upward, but '90-'94 Loyale rads have the lower port coming straight out.

Cool, I'll go exchange it tomorrow and see if the earlier one fits better. I had 1.5" inlet outlet brazed onto an early style rad that was originally the upswept style you mentioned. Now they are both straight out. Thanks for the info I appreciate it.