Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA to EJ Swap Clutch Question

hackasubaru

I've done some searching and haven't found exactly what i was looking for.. I'm getting ready to do my EJ swap and was wondering about the clutch and pressure plate. I've read mixed reviews.. should i be getting a WRX or XT6 clutch and a XT6 pressure plate? Will the EA82 pressure plate work? I'm on a budget.. so i would prefer to not buy new from the dealer; if its just an opinion thing.

Does anyone notice any difference when driving? I mean obviously its a bigger engine in a lighter car.. just wondering what the setup is and how it feels. Thanks!

I used an XT6 flywheel on a '93 EJ22 (about 24lbs compared to an EA82 at about 27lbs) with a Sachs XT6 clutch kit and a custom built RX FT4WD (3.9 gears from an XT6 trans and 23 spline stubs to run stock axles) The body is an EA81 wagon. The combo works and feels GREAT! No complaints. You could also use an EA82 flywheel machined to XT6 stepping with an XT6 clutch kit, or just machine it to EA82 specs and use the stock kit.

The EA82 flywheel is about 3 or 4 pounds heavier and would probably provide a small low-end torque advantage at the expense of a little throttle response. The XT6 flywheel will probably rev up a little quicker. Which ever you choose the improvement will be so great you'll wish you had done it a long time ago!

I may have missed it but I didn't notice what trans you are planning to run. With all that torque and a regular dual range it will be wheel spin like crazy trying to start up hill and or around corners in the rain. That's why I opted for FT 4WD.

Edited by Crazyeights
  • Like 1

Most people who have done the EJ swap are using their original EA pressure plate, it seems to work fine. Has for me, I've never noticed any hint of slippage. And I doubt it's even possible to buy an actual XT6 pressure plate anymore.

The extra power is great, but it's not going to blow you away. Alot less downshifting on hills, and alot more ability to pass. And yeah, you might be able to out-drag some dork in their fart-canned Civic if you want to. But it's still pretty much the same car. Only better.

As far as "all that torque", a 1st gen EJ22 had 137 ft-lbs when it was brand new, by now it's probably barely more than a Corolla. True, the gearing is pretty low, but if you could start uphill without wheel spin before, you'll probably still be able to.

• Like 1

Single range EA trans guts and rear section in/on EJ 5spd case halves.

then use a full EJ clutch. (match the case type, hydro, cable, push, pull etc...)

True 4wd, with EJ clutch.:clap:

No adapter or redrilled flywheel needed.

Edited by Gloyale

have you done this?

Yes. Works great.

With EJ power, the dual range isn't really needed unless you're running 27" or larger tires, and doing alot of wheeling.

I ran mine that way with 205/70/15 tires. crosscountry, 10,000 mile trip with some light dessert wheeling. worked awesome.

Does this require fab work on the transmission mounts and/or crossmember? Or a modified drive line?

depends what car you're talking about.

Transmission mounts and length are determined by the center diff housing. So if you use an EA82 housing/center diff, you will have EA82 mounts, and EA82 length.