Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I've owned my 1991 Legacy Wagon for over 12 years. When I bought it I had the transmission almost 100% rebuilt. Now, 120,000 miles later (245,000 total) the transmission is behaving very strangely.

Randomly it will disengage at all different speeds. If I stop, turn the ignition off and restart, it will re-engage. It doesn't do it every day, but when it does do it I might have to turn off and start several times on the way home.

The first time I check tranny fluid and it was low. It was also dark. I didn't change the fluid but did add new fluid to appropriate level. That seemed to help for a while, but now behavior is the same but tranny fluid is fine.

I'm not sure it' worth investing in repairs at this point, unless it's something simple, which I doubt.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

The trans fluid should have been changed half way through those miles. autos are very sensitive to the fluid. Hydraulic fluid will break down by time and mileage more so than other fluids and can cause problems. The fact that you can turn the car off and restart means you most likely have a problem with the shift solenoids in the valve body. If the key cycle didnt help i'd lean towards fluid or clutch related issues deeper in the trans. If it's electrical you should have a stored code. I'd recommend reading this thread.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=117234

TCUs in Subarus rarely go bad.

Just sayin'

I don't even bother pulling them when scrapping cars. Same with ECU's on Subaru's.

I have had decent success with Lucas transmission fix in a variety of cars. Again for me Subaru tranny issues have been rare.

Friction modifier? That brings to mind stuff like Slip Lock or Posi-Trac Limites slip addtives. DO NOT use Slip Lock or other such friction additives designed for clutch type limited slip differentials. Those make it EASIER for the clutches to SLIP. Additives of that type will ruin an automatic transmission in no time.

You could try an additive such as Lucas Transmission Fix, or K&W Trans-X Stop Slip, or other type of fluid that is designed to prevent slipping. But.....

Since the transmission engages properly after restarting the engine it certainly seems like an electrical problem and a fluid additive will likely not help.

First things first, change the fluid entirely. Any fluid that meets Dexron III spec will work. I usually buy the store brand Multi-Vehicle fluid or Dex/Merc mix whichever is cheaper. Drain and refill 3 times (roughly 4 quarts will drain each time) with a short drive in between. Some people go for 20 - 30 miles. I drive for about 3 minutes. I've even just idled the engine for a minute or two and shifted through all the gears before draining/filling again. The point is the same, get most of the old fluid out, which can't be done by draining just once.

• 2 weeks later...

if it was super nasty, your solenoids are sticking. The proper course of action is to replace the trans with another used one because of the varnish has eroded the walls of the valve body. Good used ones can be had for just a few hundred dollars or less, just get one from a wrecked car or JDM.

You may be able to get away with a valve body swap but if the friction material in the clutches are affected, it's just a band aid.

Drive it around and maybe it will clear up.

Subaru recommends a pan drain and fill every 30 to 60k miles.