Ultimate Subaru Message Board

this may be a stupid question but...

Im curious if this is just a characteristic of the AWD car but my impreza when i take u-turns or tight turns in 2nd gear (usually 10-15 mph) it'll bog very low and lose all power or it'll buck really bad where you've gota push in the clutch throw it in 1st and stomp the gas to keep it from bucking over 3000rpm. If you let the clutch out too fast (almost like dumping on a 2wd but not so aggressive) it'll buck like that too. Im wondering if this is just a characteristic of AWD or do i have a MAF problem?

Makes sense seeing as when i back up out of a parking space and cut the wheels it'll stop. So i'm looking at a trans overhaul then :( Just out of curiosity could this be the same reason after going over speed bumps the car kinda rocks a little, if you give it gas it'll buck and jump back and forth really bad like bad motor mounts which i just replaced with a set of megan racing ones. Runs better but didnt fix that issue. How much do they run on average if you can find them? i can find 02+ WRX ones but not pre 02

Edited by Recian

You don't need to overhaul the transmission or even remove it from the car to replace the center diff.

You take out the rear driveshaft, the shift coupler, and unbolt the rear cover of the transmission. Pull that off and the center diff and transfer gears come out with it. It's an evening job if you have a pit or a lift, a weekend job if you're on your back in the driveway.

Im curious if this is just a characteristic of the AWD car but my impreza when i take u-turns or tight turns in 2nd gear (usually 10-15 mph) it'll bog very low and lose all power or it'll buck really bad where you've gota push in the clutch throw it in 1st and stomp the gas to keep it from bucking over 3000rpm. If you let the clutch out too fast (almost like dumping on a 2wd but not so aggressive) it'll buck like that too. Im wondering if this is just a characteristic of AWD or do i have a MAF problem?

are you running different size, model, brand or have mixed new and worn tires?

if so, remedy that first.

otherwise - yeah, what ^^^ they said.

What year Impreza? Center diff changed in '97. Just find a junkyard Impreza of the right year and find one that has significant front end damage (or other damage that resulted in winding up in the junkyard). Pull the rear section off the transmission and install it on your car. Just don't forget to replace the gear oil after you're finished. The center diff from the '97 and up models will cost around $600 from the dealer. Much easier and cheaper to just replace the whole housing. By the way any Legacy and Impreza of the same vintage will work just fine. Has nothing to do with being 4.111 or 3.900 since the center diff is the same for both.

so the center diff isnt the actual diff like everywhere i've found says, it's just the tailshaft of the transmission then?
Yes, and it is easier to replace the entire unit rather than just the center diff portion.

Makes sense seeing as when i back up out of a parking space and cut the wheels it'll stop. So i'm looking at a trans overhaul then :( Just out of curiosity could this be the same reason after going over speed bumps the car kinda rocks a little, if you give it gas it'll buck and jump back and forth really bad like bad motor mounts which i just replaced with a set of megan racing ones. Runs better but didnt fix that issue. How much do they run on average if you can find them? i can find 02+ WRX ones but not pre 02

It could be transmission mount, dog bone, and the other one I've seen give a lot of driveline slop is the trailing arm bushings.