Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need to replace rear hubs and fix alignment. Which first?

Howdy all,

My 04 Outback was in a rear end collision before I purchased it. The alignment is a little off and needs to be fixed. Also, this car suffers from the very common rear hub noise problem, and is not under extended warranty.

My dad is going to help me change the hubs and I'll have the alignment done by the local tire shop, but I'm wondering if the order of operations matters?

If I do the alignment now, will I need to do it again when we change the hubs?

Which should come first for best results?

My dad is going to help me change the hubs and I'll have the alignment done by the local tire shop, but I'm wondering if the order of operations matters?

Are you and your dad aware that this procedure involves changing the wheel bearings which are pressed into the knuckle?

If you need any help I have a shop in Milwaukie and I specialize in Subaru's. Give me a ring: Superior Soobie & Import, 5o3-88o-4o84

GD

I hate to be that guy but GD isn't right on this one. The '00 and up Legacys and Outbacks use a bearing assembly which is held into the rear knuckles with 4 - 14mm bolts from the back side. Remove the wheel, brake caliper and rotor, remove the 32mm axle nut, the 4 - 14mm bolts on the back side and it should come out. Most of the ones I've done, do not come out very easily. I then just partially thread two of the four rear bolts back in and smack an extension with a 14mm socket on it with a hammer.

Now some of the aftermarket bearings for these cars don't have the hub in them (some of them do but the NTN's I put in my '04 did not have the hubs) so I had to press the old hub out of the old bearing and into the new one.