Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bleeding Loyale BRAKES Spongy-- Hill Holder

SPONGY Subaru Loyale Brakes!????

This problem is notorious with the Loyale Hill Holder systems...

I am surprised there are not more Threads on this issue/problem...

Looking for advice on Bleeding the brake system of a 94 Loyale!

I have worked on many of these cars, NOT a nuby to auto mechanics...

Every now and then I run into a Loyale that it seems, you just can't get the pedal back after bleeding the brakes...

All lines inspected, replaced-- Not loosing any fluid...?

Clear Bleeder hose shows NO air in fluid when bleeding the system?

Plenty of volume pushed through to get normal air out of the lines...

Does the Hill Holder Cylinder have air stuck into it?

Thoughts on removing it from the system...?

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration!

vtscooby

Doubt seriously it's the hill holder. It is simply a one way valve to stop fluid from returning to the master cylinder when you release the pedal. I would suspect the master is bypassing internally. Older master cylinders can be prone to this when collapsing calipers or pressure bleeding the system. It causes the seal inside the bore to roll over on itself or split, or you end up with debris in the bore. Either way, new master cylinder.....

It's become just as notoriously apparent that the gl and loyale cars have a bit of a spongy brake pedal feel.

It's just a characteristic. You get used to it. (So long as it's safe. If you're hitting the brakes and your car is not stopping safely, that's another issue).

I tried for a good month to get the brake pedal to feel firm in a 93 loyale and then just gave up. Brakes work fine.

replacing all the rubber hoses at each wheel helps immensely, especially if they are all original hoses.

i have also found out that having the clutch pedal in helped get mine more firm.

but yeah, they are still softer than one would expect.

It's become just as notoriously apparent that the gl and loyale cars have a bit of a spongy brake pedal feel.

It's just a characteristic. You get used to it. (So long as it's safe. If you're hitting the brakes and your car is not stopping safely, that's another issue).

I tried for a good month to get the brake pedal to feel firm in a 93 loyale and then just gave up. Brakes work fine.

my 80 gl doesn't feel spongy at all, at least it didn't before i put a napa brake caliper on it.

Well... my Subaru "BumbleBeast" Brakes Never felt spongy, nor even having the Rear e-Brake retrofitted... it could be a Bad Bleeding procedure issue.

Remember that those subarus has a cross pattern on the Brake Lines, so you must start to Bleed from the wheel in the rear that is more far from the Master Cylinder: it is the Rear Passenger's side Wheel, which shares circuit with the Front Driver's Wheel; the other two are on their circuit... if you Search, you'll find the Info here.

My own experience teached me to do Two Complete Bleedings on Loyales: the second one usually one day after the firts one, that gets Rid of the Spongy Brake Pedal feeling.

Kind Regards.